The UNH Wildcats continued their winning ways tonight by defeating Merrimack
College 9-0 at the Volpe Complex in North Andover, MA.  UNH netminder Sean
Matile picked up his first shutout as a Wildcat.  UNH improves to 12-2-0, 9-0-
0 in Hockey East.  The two teams face off again in Durham tomorrow night.

I'll defer to Mike Machnik for complete game details, but I wanted to offer
some thoughts from the UNH side of the rink tonight.

With one minute to play in the first and UNH leading 2-0, Merrimack was really
putting on some pressure.  UNH fan Tom Rowell said, "Come on Blue, let's bear
down" and the Wildcats proceeded to notch two quick goals to end the period up
4-0.  Talk about bearing down!

Three minutes into the second period something happened that I've never
witnessed before in Volpe -- Tom took off his jacket.  For those of you not
familiar with Volpe, it's usually a few degrees warmer in Antarctica than it
is inside the Volpe Complex.  By the end of the game it was downright balmy in
there.  I don't know if it was the large contingent of UNH fans contributing
to increased gate reciepts, but for some reason the "Toasters" were on for the
entire game.  Whoo Hoo!

But the disappointment of the evening came with less than a minute to play in
the second.  UNH was up 7-0 at this point and a Merrimack player decided it
would be wise to take a blatant run at UNH goalie Sean Matile.  But the funny
part is that Merrimack reacted like it was UNH taking a cheap shot at them.
Another Merrimack player proceeded to fight with UNH's Filipowicz while Flip
did his best to just hold back the player.  I don't know what happened when
they were at the bottom of the pile, but in the two or so minutes that the
referees let this continue and while they were in plain sight, Flip never
threw a punch or retaliated in any way.  Filipowicz ended up with a game DQ
for fighting and will miss tomorrow night's game.

But the worst part involved UNH's Captain Eric Boguniecki.  According to
Merrimack AD Bob DeGregorio, UNH Coach Dick Umile sent Bogey on to ice to tell
the UNH players not to retaliate or fight.  But Bogey went to the ice from the
bench while the fighting was still going on.  Boguniecki also picked up a game
DQ.  The rules are the rules and we must abide by them, but talk about an
ironic twist.  UNH has spent the last two games being victimized and
brutalized by the thugs of Maine and Merrimack, but it's UNH that has the
players sitting out.  I know people love to hate that "infuriating catalyst"
Boguniecki, but he was a class act tonight.

I wasn't at all impressed with the lack of control referee Drew Taylor had on
the game tonight.  He should really take a cue from referee Frank Cole who set
the tone for the third period of the UNH-Maine game last week by telling the
players to cut the crap and play hockey.  And I really wish someone would tell
asst. referee Jones that he can call penalties.  I found myself wishing that
he had had beans for dinner because his whistle was clearly lodged firmly in
his butt.

Here's hoping that we don't have a repeat of tonight's debacle tomorrow night
in Durham.  If any of you Merrimack players aren't interested in playing
hockey, might I suggest you not even step on the bus tomorrow afternoon.  You
may have lost the game, but it's unfortunate that you lost your class and
dignity at the same time.

Congratulations to the UNH players on another well played game.  And kudos to
the Merrimack fans who were cheering "Let's go Michigan!".  That was pretty
good.  :)

 Howard Quimby - [log in to unmask]             |\                ( )
 Natural Intelligence, Inc.            _________|_\_________________________
 Tel  617.876.7680 x1208                       -----              -_-_
 Fax  617.492.7425                                               -- - -