>As for Long Island, the trickle is getting bigger, but it's still pretty weak.
>But, from experience, I know that the explosion of new rinks only started in
>the last 5 years, so eventually, we'll see more players.

I don't know what constitutes an explosion, but during the late 70's and
early 80's (during the Islanders' brief but shining moment - not a surprise)
a lot of rinks went up in western Suffolk County.  It seemed odd at the time
-- for instance, exactly one person I knew growing up played hockey.  The
point, as I'm sure you're pleased I've gotten to it, is that an upswing in
facilities doesn't inevitably produce more players.

Seems to me that hockey needs an inter-generational aspect to make it
flourish in a region.  That support network never existed there before.
Now?  I've been off the island for 15 years, so I really can't say.

Greg Berge
Cornell '86
Let's Go Red!