----------
> From: Paul Gentile <[log in to unmask]>
> Ditto, Erik! This is indeed sad. I can only shake my head and wonder
> why. However, this is no way confined to college hockey. Try watching
> a baseball game in Fenway Park when the Yankees are in town.  Its sad
> because people get together and laugh about these incidents without
> ever thinking about the repercutions.

Maybe it's a case of having blinders, but I believe these shameful acts at
Yankee and Red Sox games that Paul alludes to are far worse than those at
college hockey games.

For one, the stuff at baseball games has often led to throwing things that hurt
people physically. Or, it is verbal abuse aimed at other fans sitting nearby --
it's tinged with genuine hatred. Also, that stuff is usually started because of
a lot of alcohol, and it's by a group of thugs.

I'm probably sounding like an apologist for the college hockey fan, but I grew
up being part of my fair share of high school basketball crowds that could get
nasty, but entertaining. And we always tried to be intelligent about it.  Even
some of the chants that get vulgar can take some thought and knowledge to
create.  Gratuitous stuff is another story.

I don't like the meaningless vulgarity either, but most of the college chants
are organized and intended to be entertaining barbs at the participants.
There's no alcohol involved, and no one is getting hurt.  You must admit the
humor element is tremendous.

There are crowds that do it right, and those that do it wrong.  In my
experience, the Cornell crowd is on the money.  It has gotten more vulgar in
recent years, and that is wrong, but they are organized, knowledgable, and come
up with some real gems.

> Of course, "suck" is becoming less and less profane by most standards
> ... maybe because of all the chanting at sporting events. It still has a
> strong profane tinge to a lot of ears though ... and especially on the lips
> of young children.

True.  I was amazed last night, actually, when our paper decided to OK the use
of the word "suck" in a quote.  If I said that in front of my father, he'd kill
me.  We actually discussed this very topic.  I use the word probably more often
than is necessary, but I also don't know if it's proper in print.  The argument
now is, though, that it's lost its profrane connotation along the way.  Not
sure if the "older" generation would agree, but I do agree that things can
change.

AW