Hmmm. Michigan fans. . . Notre Dame fans leave much to be desired to, I have
to admit -- albeit regrettfully, since I am one. There isn't a goaltender in
the CCHA ND fans won't heckle with obscenities. For some reason, ND fans have
this idea in their heads that the team can actually beat someone. I think it's
an inferiority complex. (Never mind the racial slurs aimed at Anson Carter.)

On the other hand, when Michigan fans come to the JACC they act with great
character. There are a few bums, but that's to be expected. When ND beat
Michigan 6-3 in '95, Wolverine fans were not sore losers. Meanwhile, ND fans
couldn't help rub it in to Michigan. I pity ND fans. I shouldn't say all fans,
just those from the Law School who have nothing better to do with their time
than be cheer against Michigan and Marty Turco.

But then there's the question of OSU and Notre Dame, two teams that continually
struggle at the bottom of the heap. I think this is about to change for both
squads, and it's a good thing. Parity in the conference will only improve its
already competitive nature. I won't speak for OSU, but Poulin is doing a hell
of a job putting the Irish together. With a Top-10 recruiting class this
season, a solid Sophomore class with Cotnoir, Dhadphale and Urick combined with
Matt Eisler (a vastly underrated netminder), the Irish will be much more
competitive.

I'm reminded of my Alma Mater, Fredonia State, whose hockey team went 0-22
its first DIII NCAA season. Only seven years later it went 29-1-4, losing
only in the NCAA Tournament Semi-Finals to the eventual national champion.
No one stays dormats forever. Both OSU and ND have very proud athletic
traditions that, yes, do rival Michigan's.

Again, no one stays dormats forever. Think about this: If Colorado wins the
Cup this season, both of the last two year's Cup champions will have been
recent dormats in the NHL. Don't think it can't happen in college hockey, too.

Peace,
John-Andrew Murphy
Fredonia State - 1993
SUNYAC Champions: 1994, 1995