"Todd D. Milewski" <[log in to unmask]> asked:
>I've been wondering lately whether or not a goalie has ever won the Hobey
>Baker award.  Does anyone know?  Are they even considered for the award?

Robb Stauber, UMN, 1988.

The '89 championship game featured _two_ Hobey Baker winners: Lane
MacDonald of Harvard and Stauber of Minnesota.  Stauber is still playing in
the minors.

>The reason for my wondering is that I was thinking that UW goalie Kirk
>Daubenspeck might be a candidate next season if one of the things that is
>considered is value to the team.  >
>P.S. I'm thinking of starting a campaign to lobby for Dauber being
>considered as a candidate for the Hobey.  Anyone want to help? :)

Having watched a lot of college hockey and a lot of goalies, I have to say
this:  I am a big fan of Dauber, but he's still no Jim Carey or Jamie Ram.
If he continues to elevate his play next year and puts in a consistently
solid season (not just a strong finish), he will have a shot at the pros,
but as of yet I don't feel that he's Hobey material.

The Hobey Baker isn't a "most valuable player" award, encompassing much
more than that.  Dauber was easily Wisconsin's MVP last year.  If he
continues to stand on his head all next year (sounds uncomfortable!), he
may very well be a candidate, but Hobey history has not been kind to
goalies as eventual winners.

Here's hoping he gets some more defensive support next year, and doesn't
have to keep pulling Jamie-Ram-esque heroics.

Drop the puck!

-==-John R. Nash-==-Dept of Chemistry, [log in to unmask]