I just posted to INFO-HOCKEY-L and the Warriors list the news that
Merrimack D Steve McKenna has passed up his senior year and signed with the
LA Kings.  McKenna was the Warriors' MVP last season and also selected as
the team's Most Improved Player.

This raises a few questions.  First, will another captain be named, or will
Rob Beck be the only captain next year?  Possible candidates to replace
McKenna in that position include, IMO, senior-to-be John Jakopin and
junior-to-be Martin Laroche.

Also, what does this mean for Jakopin, who had switched to forward in the
middle of last season and looked to start next season on wing?  Here's how
the Warriors' defense shapes up.  Note that as of today, two Ds are lost
(McKenna and graduating senior Tom Costa), while only one recruit, Andrew
Fox, is a D.

FRESHMEN: Andrew Fox
SOPHOMORES: Darrel Scoville, Roland Grelle, Chris Silvestro (1)
JUNIORS: Ryan Guzior
SENIORS: Jakopin (2), Karl Infanger, Eric Weichselbaumer (3)

(1) Silvestro played half of his freshman year in 94-95 and then was a
victim of the numbers game when seniors Cornforth and Hodge returned at
Christmas.  He had 2-9--11 in 18 GP and looked to be a promising prospect.
However, an injury hindered him last year (he did not play at all) and I do
not know his status, including whether he may even play again.  If he does
return next year, he would be a sophomore eligibility-wise.

(2) Jakopin was projected as a forward and played that position the latter
half of 95-96, but he could switch back to play D again.  He was chosen as
a Merrimack Coaches' Award recipient along with Beck.

(3) Weichselbaumer (5-9--14) split time between forward and defense, with
his strength being offense.  He was named the team's Unsung Hero last
season.

I had Jakopin and Weichselbaumer figured in as forwards next season, but
that seems to be up in the air right now, especially with Silvestro's
status being uncertain.  It would seem that at least one of the two will be
back on D, depending on how that position shakes out.

How does McKenna's loss affect the Warriors?  Possibly significantly, but
it will remain to be seen.  McKenna was primarily a defensive defenseman,
but he was a very good one.  With defense having been one of Merrimack's
strengths, it will hurt not having him back there.  Moving Jakopin back to
D should stabilize the position, and he would be able to provide more
offense from the blueline (10-15--25 last year) than McKenna (3-11--14).
But Jakopin had become a force at right wing with his size (6-6 235), and
the Warriors could use him up front.  On the other hand, the incoming cast
of forwards is promising, and the offense should be better whether Jakopin
is up there or not.

Whatever happens, I suspect the D will still be strong.  If Jakopin moves
back to D, they will not lose a step at that position.  And Jakopin can
still play up front on the power play, where he was very effective last
year.  The Warriors will still have a good mix of offensive and defensive
defensemen, including All-Rookie Team member Scoville (6-19--25).

Basically, everything looks up in the air right now.  Ron Anderson could
start the season with Jakopin at wing and see how the defense looks, with
the option to move him back if the D struggles.  It will be interesting to
see what happens.

Personally, I was a bit surprised to hear that McKenna had signed.  I knew
he was being courted by several teams, but I thought there was a real
chance for him to improve his market value next season, plus I felt he
might have had something to prove after Merrimack's disappointing 95-96
season; there are high hopes for next year.  But he must have liked what he
heard from LA, and whether he starts off with the Kings or spends next year
in the minors, it will certainly help his hockey development to play many
more games against a higher caliber of competition.  I look forward to
seeing him join the list of former Warriors to have played in the NHL.

Mike Machnik                   [log in to unmask]            *HMM* 11/13/93