This has been sort of pointed out by some posts, but just to clarify:

The University at Buffalo is a Div. I school, and does not play in
the SUNYAC.  Its focus is on football and basketball.  I believe
they have a club hockey team (or did), but there's never been a peep
locally that they would field an NCAA hockey team.

Buffalo State College is a Div. III school, and plays in the SUNYAC.
There's not been a single word about their moving to Div. I -- and
given the sorry finances of the SUNY system these days, I'd think the
likelihood of such approaches absolute zero.

Sounds to me as though the original writer of the newspaper story was
confusing some of the SUNY university campuses (Buffalo, Albany,
etc.) with the SUNY colleges (Buffalo State, Fredonia, Plattsburgh,
etc.).
Dr. Stephen E. Roth                     [log in to unmask]
Dean of Student Services
Canisius College                           (716) 888-2522
Buffalo, New York 14226                FAX (716) 888-3190