>Posted on 8 Apr 1996 at 22:52:18 by Andrew Weise
>
>WNYT-13 out of Albany tonight is reporting that Bruce Delventhal
>is resigning as head coach of Union College hockey.

Too bad. Bruce Deventhal is a good coach.

The problem with the Union program doesn't appear to be coaching.
It's going to be very hard for Union to do well at the Division I
level because of the restrictions under which it operates (admission
standards, no scholarships, a smaller number of games allowed) and
competition from the established ECAC Division I schools. For Union to
recruit against the Ivies, as it appears to be doing, is a lose-lose
proposition.

Union should never have left Division III. In many respects the
situation at Union is similar to the situation at Merrimack, another
successful program at the Division III level (although Merrimack is
technically a Division II school) whose record in Division I has been
average to mediocre.

For the sake of the ECAC and the fans, I hope the problems at Union
can be resolved, but I'm not optimistic.

Luiz F. Valente