Jeff Weiss, Assistant Commissioner of the CCHA was on WTKA Radio briefly
last night to respond to call in questions regarding the USA Today article.
Jeff characterized the "Elite League" talk as pure speculation and gossip.
He obviously downplayed the idea of the CCHA losing Michigan, MSU, OSU and
Notre Dame as mentioned in the article.  When asked about the prospects of
Michigan Tech and Northern Michigan joining the CCHA, he dismissed Tech by
saying they had a long affiliation with the WCHA and would be surprised if
they moved.  However, as for NMU, he just said we'd have to wait for the
CCHA and WCHA league meetings later this month.  Interesting.

To Jeff - I hope I captured your comments accurately.

>Sender: mmdf (MMDF administrator)
>Approved-By: [log in to unmask]
>Approved-By:  Rob Cornelius/aka Master Of The Figure 4
>Date:         Thu, 4 Apr 1996 22:51:11 -0500
>From:         Rob Cornelius/aka Master Of The Figure 4
>Subject:      Elite League? & University of Nebraska?
>To:           Multiple recipients of list HOCKEY-L <[log in to unmask]>
>
>        Just saw an article in today's USA Today(4/4,sports, pg. 12C)
>that had some quotes about the possibilities for an "elite" league of
>Midwestern hockey powers(similar to the Big 10 league that is always
>bandied about).
>        CCHA head Bill Beegan says that the NCAA's stance on TV rights
>for the college game will decide whether that could be a reality.
>        "hockey does not receive the respect we deserve as the
>second-highest revenue producer. the NCAA had yett to muscle ESPN into
>scheduling a slate of regular season divison 1 games."
>
>H'mmmmm. Is this true? Is our beloved D-1 hockey the #2 revenue producer?
>Compared to what? At which schools? This makes very little sense.
>
>        later in the article, the WCHA commisssioner, Bruce McLeod,
>denies worries about any superconference, lumping them with the usual Big
>10 rumors.
>
>        Finally, at the end of the article, the arrival of Mankato and
>Omaha-Nebraska are mentioned. Now, maybe I've missed something, or are we
>talking about the Nebraska of Dr. tom Osbourne and Danny Nee, or a
>smaller school located in Omaha, like a branch campus? Further, is there
>yet a hockey-l correspondent or anyone with some insight as to the
>progress of the program at this "Omaha mystery school"(again, pardon my
>ignorance)?
>
>My thanks to anyone on the list who can provide some answers,
>
>Robert
>
>**[log in to unmask]***[log in to unmask]*********
>*Rob Cornelius           "Ported box, yeah. Punch 200, 500 watts,     *
>*Ohio University              Boom! Blew it right the fuck up!"       *
>*127 Franklin-Athens,OH    -Me, after overdriving a Boston Pro10 sub  *
>*Facility Area Manager*1996 Lamar Alexander Delegate For Ohio-Dist. 6 *
>*Charter Members of the Hall Of Mastery are as follows:               *
>*Tully Blanchard, John Kruk, Ronald Reagan, Bob Probert, Keith Rucker *
>*Obie Stillwell, Bo Diaz, Krusher Krushchev, Dick Trickle, Tony Scalia*
>*, Bob K. Dornan, Petr Nedved, Ayn Rand, E. Gordon Gee, John Coker,   *
>*Ric Flair, and, of course, myself.                                   *
>
>HOCKEY-L is for discussion of college ice hockey;  send information to
>[log in to unmask], The College Hockey Information List.

Duane A. Keahl ([log in to unmask])

GO BLUE!! HAIL TO THE VICTORS!!!