The college hockey championship weekend in Cincinnati was great. It
was a pleasure being with the multitude of Hockey-L folks; we
consider it like a fraternity/sorority of kindred spirits and
feel so fortunate to be part of this group.

Thanks to Carol White for organizing the annual Hockey-L dinner.
This was our third one, and best yet. And regards to all the
Hockey-Ler's we saw including Mike Machnik, Rick McAdoo, Linda
Harrison, Erik and Paula Biever, Pam Sweeney, Tony (former Ogre?),
Jim (River Hawkey) from Lowell, etc etc...and to Virginia's brother
Bob Kelsey (previously a lurker) who, although he missed the
Hockey-L dinner, had his first chance to meet some live Hockey-Lers.
Bob and wife Tracey are hoping to be in Milwaukee next year.

It was nice to see all the folks representing the full gamut of
college hockey teams. As Michigan State fans we were frequently
asked by Michigan fans which team we would be cheering for. We
always answered that we would be rooting for the CCHA team. And
congratulations to the CCHA league for being so strong this year,
and to Michigan for winning it all.

Usually we have found the majority of Michigan fans to be rather
arrogant. This trip we actually encountered some nice Michigan fans (3)
plus the pleasant chap who agreed to take our picture in front of the
arena with only a little razzing. At the end of the championship
game, the Michigan fan we were sitting next to wished us well. We
said we hoped to see him and other Michigan fans supporting the
Spartans when they next play for the championship. He said that
would be 'tough'! (It was 'tough' for us this year.)

At the Hobey Baker award ceremony we watched several tapes about
Hobey candidates from prior years. The coloration of the films
was off, and in the clips of Michigan State games we saw the
State players in blue (should be green!) and also saw the Sparty
mascot skating around apparently blue! That was a weird site!

Also congratulations to Vermont and the ECAC for giving a good
account of themselves, and to Colorado College for almost
winning it all.

As for the Cincinnati Riverfront Arena, there sure were a lot
of problems. In addition to the ice problems, the restroom
facilities were inadequate, smoking was allowed in the refreshment
areas, and the loudspeaker announcements were almost 100%
unintelligible. Let's hope that the NCAA can factor some of these
things in when making future arena choices. And there was no shot
clock.

Bill and Virginia Krebs
Displaced Michigan State fans in ECAC land
Go Green! (locally, go RPI!)