On Wed, 3 Apr 1996, John W. Davis wrote:

> > If the WCHA takes in Mankato State and Nebraska-Omaha, (without losing
> > Northern Michigan) it would reach twelve teams.  The proposal is that they
> > should be split into three divisions:
> >
> > The "Mariucci Division" after former Blackhawks great and Minnesota Coach
> > John Mariucci would contain the four Minnesota schools - Minnesota,
> > Minnesota-Duluth, St. Cloud State and Mankato State.
> >
> > The MacInnes Division, named for former Tech coach John MacInnes, would
> > have Northern Michigan, Michigan Tech, Wisconsin, and North Dakota.
> >
> > The Armstrong Division, named for former Denver coach Murray Armstrong,
> > would consist of Denver, Colorado College, Nebraska-Omaha, and Alaska
> > Anchorage.
> >
> > Each team would play the 3 teams in its division four times each, with two
> > games against each of the 8 teams in the other divisions for a total of 28
> > games.
> >
> While I like the idea of splitting up the conference into
> three dividions, I woiuld hate not being in the same
> dvision as Minnesota or North Dakota.  I say swith UND and UW
> with St. Cloud and UMD.
>
> Also, why go with confusing name for the dividions?  The NHL
> did away with that so the game could be marketed better.
> I realize the signigicance of the names, but d you think new
> fans in Omaha will?

I realize there would never be a consensus, but I would not be in favor
of the UM campuses being seperated.  Although UMD seems to be on a losing
streak now, UM-UMD always is a great weekend in Minneapolis or Duluth.
Also, I don't see another team with that much of a rivalry with UMD other
than Wisconsin and UND, who aren't with UMD in either scenario.  What is
wrong with two six team divisions?

UM                    CC
UMD                   DU
UW                    UAA
MTU                   UNO
NMU                   MSU
SCSU                  UND

Of course, this brings up again UND not playing UM or UMD, but it's more
of an East West split up.  Let's say 4 against teams in division for 20,
and two outside your division for 12 for a total of 32.  I know, we
aren't making any headway towards more non-conference games.  How about 3
vs. teams in division for 15 + 12 = 27  leaving 9 non-conference?  Wel,
maybe I will just go talk to Bruce McLeod right now and we can figure
this out ;)

TF

--
Anthony J. Frolik                            University of Minnesota Duluth
Go Bulldogs!                                  16-15-1 WCHA, 20-17-1 Overall