At 6:04 PM 4/2/96, Eric Carlson wrote:
> The rule is very clear that unless the ref can say in his opinion that
>McNeill deliberately directed the puck to a teammate, he is not supposed to
>call an illegal hand pass.  I just don't see how anyone can say with with
>certainty he "deliberately directed" the puck anywhere but down where it
>ended up behind the goalie and Remackel followed the play and put the puck
>in for the goal.

The NCAA rule is different.  There is no mention of a hand pass being
deliberate or not deliberate.

Rule 6-17-a (in part): "If the puck, after being batted in the air by hand
or high stick or propelled by the hand along the ice, even though in the
crease, is controlled first by an opponent, all players are eligible to
play the puck and play is not stopped.  If the puck, after being batted in
the air by hand or high stick, or propelled by the hand along the ice, even
though in the crease, is controlled first by a teammate except a sideward
or backward bat from the goalkeeper, play must be stopped immediately."

The note to Rule 6-46-b reads: "'Control of the puck' is defined as the act
of propelling the puck with the stick."

Thus, if the batting of the puck was seen, and the puck went straight to
Remackel for the goal, it was a hand pass and play should have been
stopped.  The intention or non-intention of the player is not a factor.
But, as I just mentioned in another post, I do not believe the hand pass
was seen by any of the officials on the ice.

Mike Machnik                   [log in to unmask]            *HMM* 11/13/93