Let me start by saying as a three-time veteran flying to Alaska to play, it is
very difficult to adjust in time to play. I attended Ferris State from
1990-1994, and we travelled to Anchorage in 1991 for the Nissan Jeep, and then
in 1992 and 1993 to Fairbanks. During these trips we were a combined 0-5-1.
Losing to Northern Michigan and beating Colorado College in a shootout, but
under NCAA rules is listed as a tie.

The travel is only half of the problem. One trip took us from Detroit to
Cincinnati to Salt Lake City to Anchorage to Fairbanks, and another took us
from Detroit to Minneapolis to Seattle to Anchorage to Fairbanks. The travel is
definitely hard bu thte toughest part is getting up a 3 a.m. or 4 a.m. to catch
a flight and then sit around on a plane or in an airport. There is nothing to
do. And once you arrive your time is completely off. With a five-hour
difference from Big Rapids, MI to Alaska, it is just too tough to work
effectively.

The thrill of going to Alaska is great, but the trip stinks. If there could be
an additional day of travel added it would be better. But usually the coaches
do not wish for the players to miss three consecutive days of classes by
leaving on a Wednesday. And this is why I feel that the travel to Alaska is so
difficult, and why its so tough to win up there.

Craig Lisko
Ferris State '90-'94