The following story shows, I think, how Travis Roy can be an inspiration
for kids who encounter tough times.

A fourteen year old girl was struggling with the result of her parents'
divorce.  Times were tough for her, and she wasn't always coping well.
My eleven year old son had these words for her.  "Sometimes bad things
happen.  You just have to make the best of your situation.  Look at Travis
Roy.  He's going to be paralyzed for the rest of his life.  That's much
worse.  But he's trying to make the best of his situation.  And you should
too."

Hey, I know that things like this aren't going to make Travis walk, but I
found it moving that his tragedy could help other young kids deal with
adversity.

DaveH

P.S. I'll add that another adult overheard this exchange and later
complemented him on his insights.  A big grin broke out on his face and he
said, "Yeah, I guess I'm just another Einstein," which really cracked up the
adult.  I guess you could say that he shares his dad's affinity for making
people laugh.  :-)