Random thoughts for mid-March:
  * Michigan didn't look overly impressive in Saturday's 3-0
win over Miami, but goaltender Marty Turco did.  Turco's
sophomore season has been somewhat of a disappointment
...he's still winning but the primary reason for that is arguably
the strength of the team in front of him.  However, Turco's press
clippings laud him as a playoff performer.  He was outstanding
versus Wisconsin and Maine in the NCAA last year.  He began
the CCHA post-season with a superb weekend versus Miami.
This could bode well for the boys in blue.  Overall, Turco's
numbers are 29-7-1, 2.19, 89.3 and improving.  Only a sophomore,
he's looking for his 57th career win on Friday.
  * Brendan Morrison.  IMO, I don't rave about Morrison very
much (you may think otherwise) because he is Michigan's big
name and everyone else talks about him.  I'd rather point out
that Steven Halko and Kevin Hilton have had great senior seasons,
or Bubba Berenzweig and Bobby Hayes are freshmen to be
excited about...but I have to get some raving in.  RAVE!  RAVE!
RAVE!  There, I feel better.  Morrison (4-2--6) was dynamite in
the sweep of Miami.  He now has 26-37--63 in 30 games.  Not
Bonin-like numbers, but Morrison has played 10 games with
a cast on his wrist and he didn't begin his season at 100%
following a knee injury which caused him to miss UM's first six
games.  With 69-118--187 in 107 career games, he has an outside
shot at getting his 200th career point as a junior.
  * Of course, a plug for the UM defense.  Although they gave Miami
a lot of shots in the CCHA first round, they've only allowed 20.7 shots
on goal per game over 38 games.  (Some credit to the forwards as
well, who've played solid team defense.)  Add that the blueliners
have shipped in 20-87--107 offensively...again, not Mike Crowley
numbers, but more than what is expected at Michigan...and you
have one of the finest defenses in the land.
  * Miami's Kevyn Adams.  I won't miss his fading star in the CCHA
next season, but Adams did do something that impressed me
on Saturday.  He left the game in the second period due to severe
back spasms.  He returned to the bench midway through the third
period.  He never took a shift.  However, he was there to hug his
goaltender and teammates and shake hands with the Wolverines.
Nice touch.  The most captain-like thing I've seen Adams do while
wearing an "A" or "C".

Michigan Tech:
Jason Roy writes:
>Michigan Tech is hot!!!!!! Red Hot!!!!!!!!!
>--the Gophers cooled them off, but things would have been different if it
>wasn't Tech 3rd game in 3 nights.

Jeez, maybe that's why they play all those games from October
to February.  The fact is, Tech didn't position themselves to avoid
playing three games in three nights.  I can think of a lot of things
to blame the NCAA for, but this isn't one of them.

>---Lets look at Record over the last few weeks......
>Win and Tie ---vs Denver
>Win and Loss ---vs UND
>WIN and WIN ---vs UMD-----1st round of the Playoffs
>Win     ---Quarter- Final --- vs SCSU
>Win     ---Semi-Final----     vs CC
>Loss     ----Final---         vs Minn
>
>Record over last 9 games   6 - 2 - 1
>---that 6-2-1 record is against the cream of the crop in the WCHA

Wow!  1-1-0 versus teams going to the NCAA tournament.  Don't
forget the 2-1-1 record versus Wisconsin that Coach Mancini was
quick to mention on the Huskies' behalf.  How often does one
sub-.500 team have a .625 winning percentage against another
sub-.500 team?

>----Wether they get in or Not-----Lets get one thing clear------
>
>MICHIGAN TECH  DESERVES A BID TO the NCAA...........

OK...who do you take out?  Pull someone from the top 12 in
favor of MTU.  Who?  "We're number 20!  We're number 20!"

>---If its not in the rules----Tech ---does have a shot!!!!!!!
>-------Unwritten rules are ---NOT---- Rules

This is either the most hopeless or most poignant thing I've
heard all season.  This is the NCAA we're talking about, where
*written* rules are not always rules.

RE: UIC to the WCHA
I've been trying to trade UIC to the WCHA for years. :-)
As for Ted Halm's (Ferris) comments about keeping UIC in
the CCHA because Chicago is the only taste of civilization
during the winter, I can only say that I'd rather go to Marquette
or Houghton than Chicago...damn near any day of the year.

No ill will intended, but I think that UIC is closer to joining
Kent than they are the WCHA.

John H ([log in to unmask])
bringing you Hockey-L controversy all season long...
...and hoping for another LSSU-UM CCHA final