At 11:14 PM 3/11/96 EST, Tim Mustone wrote on INFO-HOCKEY-L:

>When reading the Media information given to us before each game, I was kind of
>surprised to read about Dan McGillis for NU.  The Northeastern info office had
>labelled him a Hobey Baker candidate.  Paul had wrote that he had a strong ga
>game for NU (in Game #1) and I must disagree with him somewhat.  He obviously
>was the team leader out on the ice and he made sure to introduce himself to
>many of the Riverhawks and then drive them into the glass (McGillis is 6'3",
>220 lb).  Once the team got behind at the start of the second period, he didn't
>seem to do too much out there.  In the third, he took some real stupid
>penalties that hurt his team more than Lowell.  He did draw a Lowell player
>with him to even it up, but NU couldn't skate with Lowell 4 on 4.  Anyways...

This has been my largest knock on McGillis.  Ever since the season got
rolling, I personally have not considered him a Hobey canidate.  Certainly
he is a great defenseman.  He has great skills, but he is not always a smart
player.  Tim cites examples of him taking uncalled for penalties, and he
hurts his team when he does that.  Such a good defensemen is better served
by being on the ice killing penalties, rather than putting his team a man down.

Tim also talked about McGillis' size (6-3 220lb).  McGillis throws this
weight around, and is many times the cause for his penalites.  McGillis also
seems to have a very short fuse, and begins to take his game to a more
personal level rather than do his job.

Let it be clear that I think McGillis is a great player.  I can just think
of so many players who would be a better canidate for Hobey Baker than him,
even at defense.  He is deserving of All-Hockey East, and of much of the
praise he's received.

---
Deron Treadwell - [log in to unmask]
University of Maine - GO BLUE!  BEAT LOWELL!!
Owner/Administrator: Maine Hockey Discussion List
UMaine Hockey on the web:  http://maine.maine.edu/~dtread41/mehockey.html
---