Mark A. writes:

>At the close of this evening's ECAC quarterfinal matchup between the Red
>Raiders and the Big Red at Lynah Rink, Colgate's team skated off the ice.
>No congratulations for the victorious Big Red team, no handshakes, no
>nothing.

It may have seemed like a display of poor sportsmanship by Colgate and coach
Don Vaughan, but I believe it's not uncommon (or at least not unheard of)
for teams that are playing each other back-to-back not to bother with the
handshake after the first game (though Cornell looked like they were lining
up for one).  Does this happen in the other three leagues where playing two
weekend games against the same opponent is a common occurrence?

That aside, getting his team off the ice as quickly as possible was probably
a smart move by Vaughan the way this game was going.  Colgate was clearly
"FRUS-trated", as the Lynah crowd delighted in chanting over the last few
minutes of play, and I doubt a handshake would have passed without incident.

--
Disclaimer -- Unless otherwise noted, all opinions expressed above are
              strictly those of:

Bill Fenwick
Cornell '86 and '95
LET'S GO RED!!
Rebuild the Tradition                                           DJF  5/27/94