NCAA Manual ('95-'r 5) Section 15.3.3 has:
"Where a student's athletics ability is taken into consideration in any
degree in awarding financial aid, such aid shall not be awarded in excess
of one academic year."
  "A staff member may inform a prospect that the athletics department will
recommend ... aid will renewed each year ... However the prospect must be
informed that the renewal will not be automatic."

  I haven't read enough to know whether there is more coverage or not, but
this seems to indicate that no program is obligated beyond one year.

  I guess BC has had the most recent experience with this problem.