At 12:05 PM 3/29/96 +0500, Garrett Lanzy, Michigan Tech wrote:

>In restrospect, I'm not that suprised that something like this could happen,
>given that the goal lines had to be moved to meet the NCAA standard of 15
>feet.  Thus, the pegs had to be put at a different place than "usual", and
>then Murphy's law came into play.  :-(

Excellent point, as I think we'd collectively forgotten the goal line
movement aspect.

Here's a rather oddball question.  As long as I've played hockey (goalie,
BTW) I've always used the goal "pegs" to secure the net.  These are the ones
with the little button on the bottom that only poke into the ice about a
half inch or so.  The arenas seem to be adopting the drilled ice "anchors"
to secure the nets.  (Obviously I'm revealing something intensely personal
here: I'm not an "arena" caliber goalie!)  The advantage of the anchors is a
consistent "spot" of the net on the goal line.  Disadvantages include the
PITA factor and possible brine/crude oil strikes if drilled in the wrong spot.

Maybe the folks in Cincy should've used the old style pegs like we do in
shinny hockey...

OK, so my team didn't come CLOSE to the playoffs...

Thanks,
Mark

-----
Mark J. Sonnier, C.P.M.