All,

I composed the following editorial and have sent it the following publications:
Chicago Tribune, Chicago Sun-Times, UIC News (Campus newspaper), Chicago Flame
(independent student paper), Illinois Quarterly (alumni magazine). I'm trying
to condense it down to 300 words for the Daily Herald (NW suburban paper). If
anyone has any other possible ideas, please let me know. I want to hit as many
places/people as possible. And, although I haven't found an email address for
UIC administrators, a hard copy is forthcoming. Thanks.

Saddened,  -- Paul

Dear Editor,

As a UIC alumnus, I am appalled at the recent ugly circumstances
regarding the hiring of Jimmy Collins as basketball coach at UIC. The
university, after alleged political armtwisting from members of the U. of I.
Board of Trustees, fired Coach Hallberg in order to offer the job to an
individual who was shunned by UIUC. However, the job itself was not enough to
entice the long-time assistant Illini head coach as he required a budget
worthy of a former Big Ten coach. The political ax has now moved to the
hockey program.

I am also extremely upset that the school's hockey program was deemed
`the sacrificial lamb' in order to move the basketball program to `the next
level'. Having been a supporter of the program since my freshman year in
1986, I have seen the program go through ups and downs. However, the
team's last place CCHA finish provided the motive for interim officials to
run away from rebuilding the program. School officials tried to paint the
hockey program as a picture of `financial dispair' without disclosing the
financial status of any other UIC athletic programs - especially basketball.
Currently, the community benefits from the practice ice rink: it's a place
for skating classes, open skate time for urban adults and children and a
site for Chicago Blackhawks' practices. Soon, these benefits will disappear
as the ice is replaced with a hardwood floor.

It would seem that UIC's chosen path of `win at all cost' is littered with
castaways: Coach Hallberg, Coach Pedrie, the student athletes, the fans
and the hockey program itself. This seems to me to be a very high price to
pay for a mediocre basketball program and an `as-yet-unproven' head coach.

As an alumnus, I am ashamed of the actions of the Board of Trustees, the
Athletic Department, and upper administration. As a fan, I am very
disappointed in the school's decision to do away with hockey. I will sorely
miss Tailgate this fall, the Blue Line Club, Skate with the Flames and the
Dragon on skates. Yes, it is a sad day at UIC and you can find me grieving in
the front row at center ice. I know I am not alone.

Thanks for the memories gentlemen and good luck.

In mourning,

Paul A. Troy, UIC `92

--
Paul A. Troy           [log in to unmask]            847/435-6547

** As of 1/20/96, the area code has changed from 708 to 847.      O-
- Beckett and Calavicci in `96 - Putting right what once went wrong.
- Collins killed UIC Hockey!    UIC Hockey: 1980-1996. RIP. :<
- Coming in second only means that you will be the first loser.
- Today's weather:  hard top on (until March 29!).  :(  MCA: #50778