On Mar 26,  8:42am, Eric Carlson wrote:
> Subject: UIC News and Link to Tribune article
> 7. Administrators may want one high profile sport instead of two mediocre
> ones
>-- End of excerpt from Eric Carlson

Here's a question: who's to say it's easier to be "high profile" in
basketball than in hockey?  There are fewer hockey teams to contend
with, especially when you have an existing program at the Div. I
level.  Granted basketball itself is a more "high profile" sport
with a larger fan base and more $$'s in play.  But, given the competition
for those dollars, I don't think a university can guarantee a money
making operation simply by "focusing" on the sport.  What if UIC chose
to can basketball and focus on hockey?  Could they possibly be as
successful monetarily with a top notch hockey program as they would
be with a middle-of-the-pack basketball team?

--
Matt Wickey                                 LSSU '86
CIMLINC Inc.                                NCAA Champs 88 92 94