J Michael "Dave Burton" Jackson writes:
>(A question to those in Ann Arbor: if Michigan wins it all, do you think
>someone could ask Red to at least smile?  Maybe pump his fist in the air
once
>or twice?)

You must have missed the CCHA title game...Red came as
close to doing a Jimmy Valvano as I've ever seen.  He was
very excited (lots of smiles, hugs, etc) and the Michigan fans
were excited for him.  It was GREAT to see him visibly enjoying
the win.

Also, someone asked for more of a preview of the Western
teams.  I thought JMJ's Michigan comments were right on the
money.  I don't have time to discuss all of the CCHA teams in
depth, but I'll try to give a couple of opinions and some UM
numbers.

LAKE SUPERIOR
A better team than the 1994-95 version.  I like LSSU to be in
Cinci.  John Grahame is a top notch collegiate goaltender.
Keith Aldridge is an easy All-America pick on defense.  He
didn't have one of his better game in the CCHA championship,
so look for him to come out smoking in Albany.  Aldridge (Best
Offensive Defenseman) Bates Battaglia (Best Defensive Forward)
and Mike Matteucci (Best Defensive Defenseman) swept the
CCHA "Best" awards.  The big scorers are Sean Tallaire and
Brian Felsner, Tallaire being more of a finisher among the pair.
Also keep an eye on young forwards Joe Blaznek and Bryan
Fuss.  Blaznek is all hustle and Fuss is a major pain in the butt,
period.  Typical of what the Lakers throw at you with their third
and fourth lines.

MICHIGAN
Best depth in the CCHA, maybe in the country.  Here's what they
throw at you up front:
NAME              YR  GP   G   A  PTS  EXTRA
Brendan Morrison  JR  32  26  40   66  CCHA Player of the Year
Kevin Hilton      SR  40  10  50   60  CCHA scoring champion
John Madden       JR  40  27  29   56  10 shorthanded goals
Jason Botterill   JR  34  32  23   55  129 penalty minutes
Bill Muckalt      SO  38  24  28   52  exciting as any
Warren Luhning    JR  37  19  29   48  117 penalty minutes
Mike Legg         JR  39  13  25   38  overlooked in JR class
Matt Herr         SO  37  18  13   31  often scores big goals
Greg Crozier      FR  39  12   9   21  untapped talent
Bobby Hayes       FR  40   8  13   21  CCHA winning goal

The blue line pairs include SR Steven Halko (All-CCHA second
team, All-America???) with FR Bubba Berenzweig, JR Blake
Sloan (6-23--29/+38) with JR Chris Frescoln and JR Harold
Schock (5-19--24/+37) with SR Mark Sakala.  Halko, Sloan,
Schock and Berenzweig will get the crunch time minutes,
and Sakala is a proven playoff performer.  (Check out Sakala's
performance in the 1995 semi versus Maine if you can.)

The goaltender is Marty Turco (31-7-1/2.20/89.4).  Another
playoff performer.  Has 58 wins and is just a sophomore.

MICHIGAN STATE
Still Anson Carter's show.  Sean Berens (SO), Taylor Clarke (SR),
Steve Ferranti (JR), Richard Keyes (SO), Tony Tuzzolino (JR),
Mike Watt (SO) and Mike York (FR) appear to add a lot of depth
up front, but the Spartan offense has sputtered over the last month.
IMO, the most dangerous weapons behind Carter are Keyes and
Watt.  Simply the most dangerous are Keyes and Tuzzolino.  Keep
your head up if they're on the ice.  The MSU defense is solid...but
currently wounded and tired.  Mason has been riding four D's for
several weeks.  Tyler Harlton (SO) and Jeff Kozakowski (FR) play
a little more than Chris Bogas (FR) and Chris Smith (SR).  MSU
will likely look to play a slow, low-scoring game so they can keep
their bench short.  Goaltender Chad Alban comes and goes, but
he has the ability to keep them in such a game.  In their last game
at Yost (UM), Michigan threw everything at them and the Spartans
stood there and took it.  After two periods, Alban had kept the score
1-0 and MSU had only taken six shots on goal.  They could be
tough to catch with a lead, likewise they're not likely to come back
from a deficit.

WESTERN MICHIGAN
They need to ride CCHA Rookie of the Year netminder Marc
Magliarditi as far as they can.  Mags is deserving of All-America
honors, but he sounded (I didn't see it) very mortal in their CCHA
first round playoff exit.  They don't have an Anson Carter, but
like MSU they have a balanced offense...a more veteran one
at that.  Seniors Chris Brooks, Jeremy Brown, Derek Innanen,
Jamal Mayers and Kyle Millar can all hurt you.  Brown had the
best year, but look for Brooks and Mayers to pick it up as well.
The best non-senior is junior Justin Cardwell.  The WMU defense
is big, young and relatively decent.  SR Darren Maloney leads,
but Joe Corvo and Geoff Collard had strong freshman seasons.
I believe that top offensive D Steve Duke is still out with an injury.

John H ([log in to unmask])
Who wouldn't complain about four CCHA teams in Cinci...