Here is what Comley said a week ago as posted by Keith Instone, straight from
the archives:

     Finally, he said they will try hard to avoid having two teams from
     the same conference play in the first round. But he said they would
     NOT fiddle around to avoid intra-league matchups in the SECOND
     round. So, you could see Minnesota face a CCHA team in the first
     round, with the winner playing Colorado College.

Do I need say more?  Seems to me that sending the number 3 Eastern team
kicking and screaming out of its region is doing A HELL OF A LOT OF FIDDLING
AROUND, just to avoid second round intra-league matchups.

Almost all of the controversy has involved the side-effects of the committee
doing EXACTLY the kind of fiddling they said they wouldn't do.

DaveH