What a game!!!  Obviously, if you're a Laker fan you're saying something
else.  Every goal by both teams was a "playoff" goal.  Despite UM's 3-1 lead
at one time, this game went back and forth and LSSU put all the pressure in
the world on UM the last 2 minutes.
Luhning's goal at 10:43 was a breakaway goal and very well played by Luhning.
 It was like he had to prove he could play in the show.  LSSU killed all of
UM's momentum one minute later on one the best shots I've ever seen in
hockey.  On the faceoff to Turco's left, LSSU sort of won it and as Alvey was
being hit and knocked forward (almost head over heels) he shot a hard drive
over Turco - a stunning goal to say the least.  I was sitting with
Hockey-L'er John H and we both said that was a playoff goal and John said
that maybe Alvey should have waited for the NCAA on that one.
Six minutes later LSSU is on the power play, things are starting to swing for
them, and John Madden gets his second short-handed goal of the weekend -
that's 10 for the year.  He is just one of the most exciting players in
college hockey today.  All season long, whenever UM is shorthanded, you know
John is going to get a shot on goal - it's been unbelievable to say the
least.
A long one minute after that Botterill scored on a nice rush and a very nice
shot in front of the net.  That was with 1:39 left in the first and we
thought that that might take the wind out of the Lakers, but NO.  The Lakers
never give up at this time of the season, they're a very impressive team.
fifty three seconds into the second period, LSSU scored a goal on a 5 on 3
power play.  You knew it was just a matter of time.  It's now 3-2 and we are
very worried.  UM both nights games out like ganghorses (???) and then hung
on the rest of the game.  They've done that in the NCAA's against Maine twice
before and it gets kinda scary now.  Hey RED!! tell the kids it's a 60 minute
game.
No more scoring in the third until LSSU (Felsner) scored a short hander.  UM
was on a 5 minute power play, we were all hoping for a 4-2 lead and now it's
3-3 and the BIG MO is all on LSSU's side.  However with 6:36 to go Bobby
Hayes ( a freshman who I've heard was not given a scholarship!!!) chipped a
rebound in.  Both John and I looked at each other and said that this was a
LONNNNGGGG time for UM to try to hold onto a one point lead.  LSSU put all
the pressure in the world on UM, I still can't believe they did not score, I
remember the NCAA game 2 years ago too vividly still.

I sure hope that UM and LSSU played for the number 2 seeds last night - one
in the west and 1 in the east.  It would be a crime to put these 2 teams in
the same regional - let them meet ( if they both make it) in the finals or
semis.

By the way, UM played most of the game without the CCHA's leading scorer -
Kevin Hilton - no small feat for UM.
For the Kevin Hilton fans, what John found out and let's hope he posts more
later, KEvin had a very bad charley horse and sat in the ice tubs most of the
game.  He was on the ice for the final celebrations wearing sweats and
limping.  I can only hope that he'll be ready next weekend.  He of all the
players on UM deserves a shot at the NCAA title.
Steve B