-- [ From: Adam Wodon * EMC.Ver #2.10P ] --

> Sometime in the third period (sorry I don't have a
> boxscore in front of me) the following scenario occurred:
>
> 1.  Princeton and SLU are called for coincidental minors.
>     Teams skate 4x4 (not counting the goalies).
>
> 2.  After a whistle in the SLU end, and with :56 seconds
> left in the coincidental minors, a SLU player clearly
> cross checks Princeton's assistant captain Jonathan Kelley
> from behind. After a few words, Kelley retaliates  ...
>
> The DQ was well deserved, IMHO as there is no room for
> this kind of behavior.

Agreed -- the shame of it all is that Kelley just made a spectacular
move and almost scored. He's been letting his temper get the best of
him again this year, after getting over that last year, he had a
breakthrough 24 goals.  He has 14 this year, but it could be better.
  Actually, the TV cameras caught Cullen winking to a teammate,
indicating he was fine -- but, nonetheless, Kelley should have been
tossed just for intent.

>  Anyway, now the
>     teams are skating 3X3.
>
> 3.  With about 5 seconds remaining in original > coincidental minors,
a SLU player gets caught flat footed
> and is forced to hook down a Princeton player along the
> far boards in the SLU zone.

It was Dashney -- and I also have a question on this.

As was said, you can't play 3x2 -- we all understand that the minor
must be delayed until the coincidentals end (in 5 seconds) -- my idea,
however, would be that they would let only the Princeton player back on
the ice (Mike Acosta), but not the SLU player (DiFrancesco) until the
next whistle. This would make it a 4x3 for Princeton for the time
being.

I didn't see for sure -- but someone next to me said DiFrancesco DID
come back on the ice.  I saw Acosta.  Two seconds after they came out,
Dan Brown scored for Princeton.

The thing is -- the teams then went to 4-on-4, Cullen came out of the
box too, and Dashney stayed in for 1:58 -- at which pt. SLU got the
rest of their 5-minute major. Obviously his penalty started when the
initial coincidentals ended.

The thing is -- if both Acosta and DiFrancesco left the box, thus
making it 4x4, then why did the goal by Princeton cause Cullen's
penalty to end?  I would think Princeton would then get their PP for
the time when Cullen's 2-minute X-Check and Dashney's hold overlap.
    The only thing I can think of is that the guy standing next to me
was wrong and DiFrancesco indeed DID stay in the box.

> SLU's Joel Prpic: I've seen him twice now, (last year vs.
> Cornell and this year).  He is HUGE, and plays center.  He
> towers over nearly everyone else on the ice.
> Unfortunately, he's been a waste of space each time I've
> seen him.

He plays smaller than he is (which isn't hard). He was regularly check
off the puck by much smaller players.

> Princeton's Jonathan Kelley and Casson Masters:  The guys
>  have the talent...too bad the rest of the team isn't
> there yet.

Yet is the operative word....

> Princeton's Syl Apps (related to the former NHLer?):  A
> classic overachiever.  He makes up for lack of talent with
> hustle and determination...every team needs a guy like
> this.

While I think "lack of talent" is a little strong, a lot of Princeton
players can be characterized like this.  Princeton doesn't get their
pick of talent, so they have to rely on hard work and character players,
which they have been getting lately.

> Princeton's ____ Smith (sorry can't remember his first
> name, #25): A solid, stay at home, defenseman.  Plays the
> body and the puck equally well and makes solid decisions
> in his own end.

Jason Smith had an inconsistent start, but now he's playing as well as
any defenseman in the league, similar to last year's stretch run.  He
can skate pretty well, too, I think, and has some offensive ability
when needed.

> Princeton:  These guys must be learning something from
> their NHL neighbors the NJ Devils.  Their game is to
> pounce on mistakes in the nuetral zone by the other team.

Hope this isn't considered a negative, and a neutral-zone trap bash.

> That said, I wouldn't want to meet Princeton in a one game
> playoff.  Their style will clearly frustrate some of the
> faster teams.

Speed is hardly Princeton's problem -- they have a number of speed guys
-- the problem is harnessing that speed and converting it into scoring
opportunities.  Their style is no different that most teams in the
league.

AW