Bryan Priem asked "Is there anything wrong with school spirit?" in the context
of throwing a dead animal on the ice.

Simple answer:  Damn right there is!  Forget for a moment it does the ice no
good to throw *anything* on it or that pieces of whatever you throw on the ice
might go undetected but later cause a mishap to the players and whatever you
throw slows up the game.  I mean, the most obvious thing I can possibly say
here is that throwers are not demonstrating school spirit so much as they are
a total lack or thought and/or class.  But dead animals?

Where did that animal come from?  If it were road kill, maybe I could find it
in my heart to cut a little slack here (though I doubt it).  That was a living
creature.  Didn't it have a right to its own life?  Did you kill it so that
you could get a kick from throwing it on the ice?  No, I'm not a Vegan.  But
I'm curious - was that badger or gopher being raised for meat?  Or did you
trap it to use as a symbol?  Of all the things you could choose to throw on
the ice, a dead animal has to be in the worst taste and most classless.

Then Steve G wrote:
"This isn't the first thread to suffer such "I caught a poorly phrased idea,
now I gotta post" mentality......Go easy!  If it's stupid, send private
E-Mail, don't try to prove to 800(?) hockey-l'ers that your the next Johnny
Cochran."

Thank you so much, Steve.  You really think this is about a poorly phrased
idea?  I am posting because of strong feelings that Mr. Priem's thought is
both wrongheaded and offensive and wish to express that point of view.  The
mere fact others are posting similarly reinforces my point of view.  And, BTW,
I wouldn't be too proud if somebody thought I was the next Johnny Cochran.
Trial outcome notwithstanding, I have an extremely negative opinion of Mr.
Cochran.

Tom Rowe                                 Internet:  [log in to unmask]
   Department of Psychology
*********************************** U. of Wisconsin - Stevens Point
Home of Division III National
     Go Point!                           Champions '89, '90, '91, & '93