At 8:51 01/02/96, Morgenstern,David wrote:
>1) Eliminate contact along the boards.  "It's all right to brush against
>each other because that's just incidental contact.  Anything else should be
>a penalty".

This idea gives me the impression of killing a fly with an uzi. I think
Smith is trying to prevent things that can not be prevented (ie Travis
Roy). I would think an automatic game misconduct for hitting from behind
should hopefully eliminate most of the dangerous hits along the boards.

>3) Install a red line and make two line passes illegal.

Bringing back the red line? If he wants to do that, he'd better be prepared
to add a second linesman. You can get away with 2-and-1 if you don't have a
red line.

This is what, in my mind, sets College Hockey apart from other levels.

I don't understand the combination of the two ranges here. He says he wants
to increase the skill level by removing checking along the boards. Then he
turns around and proposes the reintroduction of a rule that slows the game
down, and hinders skill players.

See you later,
John

--

John Edwards       Stats Geek, Ottawa Senators Jr. A Hockey Club (26-14-2)
Email: [log in to unmask]    URL: http://chat.carleton.ca/~jedwards