At 03:32 PM 2/3/96 -0400, Paulette Dwen wrote:

>Perhaps what we really need is a fifth conference formed, allowing schools
>like Mankata State, Niagara and UConn plenty of space.  To do this in a
>geographically sensible manner would probably require rearranging all the
>current conferences as well.  Perhaps it might be easier for Div. I hockey
>to do this all at once rather than have each new school go through what the
>Alaska schools did.  It would be the end of an era and some rivalries, but
>the beginning of a new era and new rivalries.

I think the point of my original post regarding the Eastern Expansion has
been lost through the ECAC debate.

A fifth conference isn't necessary for Nigara, UConn and CW Post (yes it is
this school).  Hockey East wants them, period.  Hockey East already reguarly
checks in with UConn already, they want them.  It's pretty much automatic
already, if they upgrade the hockey team, Hockey East accepts them.  They
also want Nigara, but the problem is that Nigara and CW Post, should they
decide to apply, both want ECAC admission.  DeGregorio said, and I agree,
that the ECAC will unlikely accept these two.  So they can choose what they
want to do.  Sure Niagara might choose to ask the CCHA, but isn't it
doubtful they will accept them as well??

Hockey East wants to be up to 12 teams, there are 9 now.  So anyone who
comes along, that Hockey East could justify allowing in, they will go for
it.  Niagara certainly is a little out of the way, when looking at other
Hockey East teams, but even Maine wouldn't mind going down there I'm sure.
While Maine is a long trip for every Hockey East school, Maine takes a long
trip almost every weekend. UNH isn't that bad, but all the Mass. schools are
a long trip.  While most other schools in HE play on the road then sleep in
their own beds, Maine is accustomed to sleeping in hotels and playing on the
road, so a couple more hours of travel isn't all that bad for Maine.  The
only travel questions IMHO will come from the MA schools who know will have
to make two road-trips.

Deron Treadwell                          e-mail: [log in to unmask]
UMaine Hockey on the web:  http://maine.maine.edu/~dtread41/mehockey.html