Sean asks an interesting question the direct answer to which I will evade :-)

It is extraordinarily rare, although not *completely* so, for a team to
have an undefeated season.  If we accept the postulate that the best team
wins the championship it is inevitable then, in the vast majority of
years, that the "best" team will lose to "inferior" competition.  The
number of acceptable losses can't be quantified because of the variable
of the quality of the team one loses against.

For example (without singling out one team or making a complete list),
say BU, Minnesota, CC, or Michigan lost to one another.  This would be
less unexpected than a loss to a sub-500 team.  However, most years we
see the example of a *really* unexpected loss like BU's to Merrimack last
year.  Hardly a year goes by when in college football someone doesn't do
a string of X defeated Y so...until Yale has won the national
championship.  Except for the most extraordinary team there will be off
nights which result in losses.  The most successful teams, and the best
ones, win most of their games *and* come through at tournament time.

My 2 cents,

Arthur Berman [log in to unmask]
GO BU!!! NATIONAL CHAMPIONS!!!
NAYIM FROM THE HALFWAY LINE!!!