Wow!  The Gopher's were really lambasted tonight by North Dakota 8-2!  I
guess if you have to end a 19 game unbeaten streak this is the way to do
it!  The Gopher's came out strong early, including a 5 on 3 power play, but
were unable to capitalize.  A couple of good stops by Kavelavog and a post
kept the Gopher's from scoring.  To the Sioux's credit they hung tough and
worked hard to turn the tide for a 2-0 lead after the first period.  In the
second period mistakes like no one has seen from the Gopher's in their
previous 28 games!  Turnovers in the DZ, missed backchecking assignments,
mishandled or over passed pucks in the OZ, goaltending blunders, in short a
real comedy of errors.  The number of odd-man rushs given up we absolutely
astounding! Finally, in the 3rd period the Gopher's showed some life
scoring 2 goals, but they were not the tic-tac-toe variety we are use to
seeing from this years club.

Gopher fans don't get discouraged.  The rodents WILL bounce back tomorrow
night, as they can't possibly play as poorly as they did tonight.  Also,
North Dakota was playing out of their minds and scored several very, let's
say, not-on-any-night-but-tonight type of goals.

A parting note.  I haven't checked the archives but I believe that the
Gopher's were beaten at North Dakota 8-1 or 9-1 in 1989 before their run
for NCAA championship game.  I believe it's an omen and the moons are
beginning to come into alignment!

Go Gophers!

Steven M. Bernhardt
Post-Bacc Business & Marketing Education
University of Minnesota