In the LSSU-Clarkson playoff game, Frank Cole did indeed ref and,
according to many Laker fans, took the game away from the Lakers.
However, as an eyewitness and given the fact that a few years have
passed, I have to say that Referee Cole did not do that bad a job.  Yes
he did call more penalties during the third game than during the first
two.  However, Clarkson adjusted and LSSU did not.  In the long run, I
believe that this game worked in the Lakers favor because they were able
to make adjustments in later games.

I am reminded of Casey Stengels remark when, at the age of 70, he was
fired as the Yankee Manager.  "I'll never make the mistake of being 70
again."

The Lakers have corrected many of the mistakes which led to that
particular disaster.

BTW, Frank Cole was also the ref for the NCAA championship game in 1988
between the Lakers and SLU.  At one point during the third period during
a flurry of activity around the Laker net, Pete Stauber, using both
hands, lifted the net off of the posts.  Everybody could see what he did
but Cole did not call that penalty.

I guess Frank taketh but also giveth.

James Blashill
Lake Superior State University