Charles said:
>The Ivy League schools got together becasue of a common attitude towards
>academic excellence and athletic prowess, in that order.  Although the
>schools have been playing eachother since...the Earth was still flat....the
>resolution became offical in the 50's.
>
>the point being that the group of 8 banded together to maintain a certain
>balance between what they felt was a good balance of academic/sports, but
>also that sports be an integral part of the education.

An even further digression, just random trivia:  the league was originally
only four teams.  Harvard, Princeton, Yale, and Cornell formed the "League
of IV" (read it as a Roman numeral), thereafter referred to casually as the
I-V, or Ivy, League.

These four teams were later joined by Brown, Dartmouth, University of
Pennsylvania, Columbia, Army, and Navy, to form a league of ten.  I believe
the military academies left the league in the late 1940s, shortly before
league play was formalized, but I'm not positive.

Jeffrey Anbinder
Cornell University Development