On Wed, 28 Feb 1996, Jeffrey T. Anbinder wrote:

> Actually, that's not the case.  I can't speak for the two western leagues,
> but the ECAC rewards its *Regular Season* Champion with the automatic bid
> to the NCAAs.  As St. Lawrence so rudely found out after defeating Cornell
> for the *tournament* championship in 1991, the tourney title is no
> guarantee of a bid.
>
> Jeffrey Anbinder
> Cornell University Development

My understanding is that the ECAC or any of the other leagues did not give
an automatic bid to the regular season champ until last year (after then #1
Colorado College was snubbed when it lost to #10 team).  The bid has
always gone to the tournement champion.

As far as the 1991 ECAC tournement, SLU the #3 seed defeated Cornell the #2
seed 3-2 (?) in the semi-final and then lost to Clarkson in the finals 5-4.
Clarkson and Cornell got the bids to the big show.

Kevin Powers

Clarkson '88 '90 '92