I know that Hockey-East rewards its Playoff-Champion with one of the
leagues automatic bids to the NCAA's. I imagine that all of the other
leagues do the same. Therefore, I've been contemplating the possible
scenarios that may place a team who has a record below .500 into the
tourney. Here are my picks for these "longshot candidates". I love this
stuff, this is what hockey is all about. I would love to see one these
perdictions materialize.

Sub-.500 teams to make tourney via automatic bids.
(Ranked by probability, first being greatest)
Rank/Team/Estimated record after playoff championship won.
1.) Harvard University 15-17-1
2.) Ohio State 14-17-5
3.) Wisconsin 20-18-3 *
4.) RPI 12-21-3
5.) Northeastern 17-19-4
* well, they were 3 games below .500 when the playoffs started. ;)

Reasoning.
1.) Harvard can't possibly continue this self-destruction. I know this team
must be reeling from its recent colapse and I expect a strong finish with
a possible season-ending victory over Vermont. This could catapult them
into a first round victory in the ECAC playoffs and that would only leave
them a few quick wins from the tourney. I also see RPI putting on a show
in this playoff so a Harvard-RPI matchup could be RPI's demise. The main
reason I place this pick so highly is that this team is the best of the
sub-.500's in a league that's ripe for the picking!

2.) Ohio State .... Two words - Tom Askey. Anyone who's seen this kid
play this year can't argue with this one. A hot goalie can take you a long
way come tourney time, eh Blaine Lacher? (Where r u now?) The bottom
line is that this kid has been consisitently excellent all throughout the
season. Ohio State hasn't given up many goals in its last 8 games, so
they could be solidifying their defensive position. This would've been my
first pick if it wasn't for the probability of an early matchup with LSSU,
you know ... "THE" playoff team. Wise men wouldn't bet against LSSU
come tourney time. But, hey, this Askey kid can make the difference. Too
bad Ohio State's offense just doesn't exist.

3.) Wisconsin - Again, we'll talk here about the value of a hot goalie.
Maybe Daubenspeck hasn't been consistent as Askey, but as of late,
he's been phenomenal. Wisconsin is also riding very high. This could
propel them right through the early round of the WCHA playoffs.
However, things don't get so easy so fast in the WCHA. First round
winners haven't as clean a ride as they do in the other leagues. I see
Wisconsin having little trouble with first-round foe N. Dakota. They should
take 2 out of 3. Then they get a shot at getting by the Minnesota-Duluth /
Mich. Tech. winner. Once they've handled that, they get the grand
privilege of being Colorado's first Final-5 foe. Then, to top that delight, if
they get past Colorado, they earn the right to attempt a
crowning-achievement in beating the Denver-Minnesota survivor. This is
not an easy road, fellas!

4.) RPI - Have you read the above notes on Harvard? This league is ripe
for an upset ... and who better than RPI? Haven't they been here before?
If Richardson can just keep on his skates, watch for Rochon to make
some nice end-to-end rushes and keep an eye on that freshman, Matt
Garver ... this kid can skate.

5.) Northeastern. I really like Boston College in this scenario, but I can't
see B.C. getting by a real good Providence squad in the first round. It's
easier for me to imagine Northeastern upsetting Maine. Especially in light
of B.C.'s recent embarrasment at UNH and Maine's recent manhandling
by thier first round-foe Northeastern. Northeastern has some good
leadership in its seniors. Northeastern will likely face B.U. before it gets
to the finals though ... and then it gets to play Lowell. Now, Lowell is the
team that gave them an early exit last year ... as well as diminishing any
shot they had at an at-large bid to the tourney. It would be a "spirited"
game to say the least.

There you have it. Its hard to imagine sometimes, but remember how
fragile the hockey world has proven to be this year. I know that it would
take some awfully good teams to be defeated, but we've been there,
done that ... there's no guarantee we won't be going back! ;)

Paul.