Tony wrote..
> In a perusal of the Troy Record Sports section via the web this week,
> there was an interesting story on Chris Maye and how he wacked home his
> first goal of the season as the puck was dropping on a face off.... but my
> question is this .. he said he is the only graduate student on the team. I
> assume this is legal by NCAA rules, but how does it work? I think I recall
> Joe Juneau finished in 3 yrs and his senior year was working on his MS in
> aero engr or somesuch (don't you hate such smart people ? :-)

There are a zillion rules, but 14.1.6.2.1.4 and 14.1.7 seem to answer
this question.

14.1.6.2.1.4 Graduate Program.  A student may compete while enrolled in
a full-time graduate program as defined by the institution, but in any
event not fewer than eight hours (see 14.1.7).

14.1.7 ... is too long for me to quote ... basically says that an SA
may continue, once graduated, at the same school providing the
participation is within the 5-year/10-semester period and either the
student is in a graduate or professional school or seeking a 2nd
baccalaureate or equivalent degree or taking course work that would
lead to another major or degree.

Hope this helps,

Wayne T. Smith
Systems Group -- CAPS        internet: [log in to unmask]
University of Maine System   BITNET/CREN: WTS@MAINE