Mike wrote, in part..
> 1) Let's say I have been corresponding or talking with a PSA but not on any
> topic related to recruiting.  It might be that this PSA is a friend who
> also happens to be in the process of being recruited by schools.  Is it
> illegal to have any contact whatsoever, or only any contact that involves
> the dissemination of information about the program?  For example, Heather
> and I have a friend whose younger brother graduated from an ECAC East
> school recently and played hockey for them.  Because I am a friend of the
> family, I naturally saw and talked to this person a lot several years ago
> when he was being recruited.  I hope the NCAA didn't require me to avoid my
> friend's brother whenever I visited them. :-)  (I don't recall ever talking
> to him about recruiting.)

13.1.2.3 (d) Established Family Friend/Neighbor.  Contacts made with a
prospect by an established family friend or neighbor, it being
understood that such contacts are not made for recruiting purposes and
are not initiated by a member of an institution's coaching staff. (are
allowed)

> 2) Sometimes I go to high school games in the area.  I am not too clear on
> the restrictions regarding school representatives who choose to attend
> games.  If I am considered to be a rep, as would many of us here, are we
> prohibited from going to these games, or only from talking to PSAs - and
> even then, are we prohibited from saying hello to those we know personally
> or just from talking to them about our programs?

13.1.2.3(f) Unavoidable incidental contact. An unavoidable incidental
contact made with a prospect by representatives of the institution's
athletic interests, provided the contact is not prearranged by the
representative or an athletics department staff member, does not take
place on the grounds of the prospect's educational institution or at
the sites of organized competition and practice involving the prospect
or the prospect's team ..., is not made for the purpose of recruitment
of the prospect, and involves only normal civility. ...  (are allowed)

13.1.2.5 Other Restrictions, Athletics Representatives. ...
(c) Observing Prospect's Contest.  An athletic representative may view
a prospect's athletic contest on his or her own initiative, subject to
the understanding that the athletics representative may not contact the
prospect on such occasions.

Hope this helps,

Wayne T. Smith
Systems Group -- CAPS        internet: [log in to unmask]
University of Maine System   BITNET/CREN: WTS@MAINE