At 9:13 PM 1/17/96, Luiz F. Valente wrote:
>>Posted on 17 Jan 1996 at 17:13:35 by Deron Treadwell
>>This brings up an interesting question in my mind. UMaine has made it very
>>clear to me that they don't want to be a part of my page, very similar to
>>how BU treated Sean Pickett a while back.  Since my page, (as well as Mike's
>>and Sean's) is unofficial, how can I be considered a representative of a
>>university that wants nothing to do with the page?
>
>This is indeed a very interesting question. I suppose that the difference
>is that although Mike's page is unofficial, Mike's relationship with
>Merrimack College is at least quasi-official.

I think the best thing to do is to assume that you *are* a "representative"
in some way because of the work you (Deron) do in promoting the program, on
the lists and on the web (and perhaps in other ways).  At least, assume
that unless you definitely know otherwise.

I am not employed by Merrimack, but as Luiz suggests, because Heather and I
have been doing volunteer work that is acknowledged by the program, it
makes sense that we might be considered representatives in some way.

I felt it was a good idea to raise this issue with Merrimack coach Ron
Anderson this evening after the Yale game.  He's not too familiar with the
web concept, but I gave him a brief synopsis of what the web is and
explained that among the unsolicited replies I have received have been ones
from PSAs or parents of PSAs.  I said that because I have been contacted, I
thought I should let him know - my thought being that coaches should always
know who might be in a position to be in touch with PSAs, and sometimes
they can only know this if we tell them.

He appreciated this and said that I was handling it in the right way, by
referring them to the school itself.  He also explained to me that I should
refer any questions to the program's recruiting coordinator, assistant
coach Stu Irving.  And as some people have suggested here and to me via
email, he added that it would be a violation for me to have illegal contact
with PSAs in which I gave information about the program.  (Fortunately, I
have not done this, and I have the messages to prove it. :-))

I plan to add a special page to the web site soon that gives methods of
contacting the school and program, along with a brief explanation of why
PSAs need to contact them directly.  Other people may wish to do the same.
Also, I'll have prepared a "canned response" to send to people who ask me
for information.  (thus far, I've just re-written the same basic "ask them"
requests come in.)

It's probably worth noting that because of discussion on the topic of
recruiting here in the past, I already had an idea that I shouldn't discuss
the program with any PSAs who contacted me.  Not everyone would necessarily
know that.

I do have a couple more questions I'd like to throw out for discussion.  I
thank those who have already answered my original questions.

1) Let's say I have been corresponding or talking with a PSA but not on any
topic related to recruiting.  It might be that this PSA is a friend who
also happens to be in the process of being recruited by schools.  Is it
illegal to have any contact whatsoever, or only any contact that involves
the dissemination of information about the program?  For example, Heather
and I have a friend whose younger brother graduated from an ECAC East
school recently and played hockey for them.  Because I am a friend of the
family, I naturally saw and talked to this person a lot several years ago
when he was being recruited.  I hope the NCAA didn't require me to avoid my
friend's brother whenever I visited them. :-)  (I don't recall ever talking
to him about recruiting.)

2) Sometimes I go to high school games in the area.  I am not too clear on
the restrictions regarding school representatives who choose to attend
games.  If I am considered to be a rep, as would many of us here, are we
prohibited from going to these games, or only from talking to PSAs - and
even then, are we prohibited from saying hello to those we know personally
or just from talking to them about our programs?

I think these questions concern a lot of people, so I suggest that replies
go to the list.  Thanks...and maybe this is a good topic for the FAQ or a
separate document in the archives or someplace on the web.

Mike Machnik                   [log in to unmask]            *HMM* 11/13/93