Lee Urton wrote:

> 1) Northern Michigan 8, Boston University 7, (3OT) NCAA Championship
> game, 1991
>
> Someone briefly discussed this game--but I remember it differently,
> as Amonte's breakaway with 12 seconds left beat the goalie, and
> clanged off the crossbar. Of course, these things have a way of
> growing with time...

Well, that's not what I saw.  I saw Tony shot the puck into Pye's
glove.  I also remember how I felt after BU lost...

> 2) Maine 3, Michigan 2, (3OT) NCAA Semifinals, 1995

The correct score was Maine 4, Michigan 3.  I missed ESPN screwing up
the overtime, as I was at the game.

> 3) Lake Superior State 3, Minnesota 2 (OT), Mariucci Classic
> Championship, 1993
>
> Wow! You know it is a good tournament when the semifinal features a
> rematch of the previous year's NCAA championship game.  Lake State
> and Minnesota met in the finals to provide one heckuva good game.

The 1993 NCAA Championship was Maine vs LSSU.  Minnesota was not even
in Milwaukee for the semifinals.  I am very confused as to which
LSSU-Minnesota game is being referred to here.

My top five:

1) 1995 NCAA Chamoionship Game - BU 6, Maine 2

I consider it the best game I have seen BU play in the past ten and a
half years (about 360 games in person and another 10 or so on TV).
Even though it was not 'exciting' for many non-BU fans, I am biased
and seeing the team you follow win the NCAA championship is something
very special.

2) 19 Feb 1993 - BU 7 at Maine 6 (OT)

Maine had a 6-2 led at 9:32 of the second, but the Terriers came back
to win in overtime to give the Black Bears their only loss of the
season.  It was also BU's first win at Alfond Arena in 7 years, as
they had gone 0-9-1 over that span.  Having personally attended 9 of
the 10 games (0-8-1) made the win (and game) even better for me.
As for the game itself, Scott Cashman was sterling in relief of J.P.
McKersie in net, while Mike Prendergast's game-winning goal was
pretty (and pretty stunning for Maine fans).

3) 1989 ECAC Semifinal - Vermont 3, Harvard 2 (OT)

The Catamounts stun the Crimson as they get two late goals to tie the
game, then win it in overtime.

4) 1994 Mariucci Classi Championship - BU 4, Minnesota 3 (OT)

An excellent game all around.  Steller goaltending, great defense and
some pretty good goal scoring, including Ken Raush's game-winner in
OT.

5) 1988 NCAA Championship Game - Lake Superior 4, St. Lawrence 3 (OT)

After beating Minnesota, 3-2, in a very tough game on Friday night,
the Saints comeback on Saturday and outplay the Lakers, but goalie
Bruce Hoffat gives up only three goals, while stopping 49 shots.
Time runs out for St. Lawrence as Mark Vermette scores the
game-winner for the Lakers in OT on only their 25 shot on goal.

I am obviously *very* biased, but I tried to be fair.  In fact some
of the games that I remember the best can not be called 'great' in
any sense of the word, so despite immediately thinking of them, I did
not consider them for my list.  The five I came up with are ones that
I think most would agree were great games.

Sean Pickett            E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Go Terriers  1995 NCAA, Hockey East and Beanpot Champions
BU Hockey:  http://www.tiac.net/users/spickett/hockey.html
The Bedford Flag:  http://www.tiac.net/users/spickett/flag.html
But I Digress:  http://www.tiac.net/users/spickett/bid.html