On Jan 10,  1:07pm, Doug Garn wrote:
> Subject: Re: Alcohol at D1 Arenas
> > >Are there very many other D1 hockey arenas/teams that serve liquor during
> > >the games?  It is not served (or allowed) in the seating/stands, and the
> > >there is no "seating" in the bar area; just standing (to mildly discourage
> > >lengthy stays perhaps!?).
>
> 2 years ago I was at the Joe Louis Arena in Detroit for the CCHA playoffs
> and they were not selling beer.  We were told that this was NCAA rules.
> Was I misinformed, or is this a actual rule during playoff time?
>
> As a side note, all the advertisments on the boards were covered up and
> we were again told this was because of a NCAA rule.
>
>-- End of excerpt from Doug Garn

Are you sure this was the CCHA playoffs or part of the NC$$ playoffs?
Both are often played at Joe Louis but there is a big difference in
the alcohol and advertising allowed.  Usually during the CCHA playoffs,
alcohol and advertising are a go, just as they would be at a Redwings
game.  But during the NC$$'s (same place, possibly same teams, one week
later) no drinks are sold and all the advertisements on the boards are
covered up. They won't even allow posters that participating schools
may want to hang on the concourse wall.  For those who attend both, it
can be a startling contrast.

--
Matt Wickey                                 LSSU '86
CIMLINC Inc.                                National Champs 88 92 94