>>... Princeton's Syl Apps was thrown out of the faceoff circle.  The
>>Princeton players looked to the bench to see who should take the faceoff
>>instead of Apps.  Head Coach Cahoon took a timeout.  After the timeout,
>>Apps returned for the faceoff and took it.
>>
>>Q: Was Apps allowed to take the faceoff or did the officials miss something?
>
>Rule 6-12d:
>
>If a player facing off fails to take the proper position immediately when
>directed by the official, the official may order the individual replaced
>for the face-off by any teammate(s) then on the ice.
>
>No substitution of players shall be permitted until the face-off has
>been completed and play has been resumed, except when a penalty is
>imposed that will affect the on-ice strength of either team.

I believe this rule refers to the substitution of players from the bench
before a faceoff, but is ambiguous with respect to an intervening timeout.
It would be perfectly reasonable to assume that the whole faceoff is
started over after a timeout, especially since timeouts are required to be
taken during a stoppage in play as opposed to being used to stop play as in
football (rule 6-45).

Howie

Howard Stein                                       Go Big Red!
Cornell '91                                        Kill, Schafer, Kill!