On the news on WLVI-TV56 in Boston tonight, during a story about the injury
suffered by Suffolk's John Gilpatrick (detailed earlier today on
INFO-HOCKEY-L), it was mentioned that as a result of this and other
injuries that have occurred recently, Northeastern coach Ben Smith plans to
propose a major college hockey rule change soon.

If I remember correctly, the rule change would involve outlawing all
checking either along the boards or into the boards.  Smith was shown
talking a little about the idea, but unfortunately I didn't hear much of
it.  This would be a drastic change and will probably result in a lot of
discussion and arguments for and against the proposal.

If anyone else heard more of the story and interview than I did, I would
welcome the posting of more details.  Perhaps one of the Boston papers will
run a piece on it.

Note that Gilpatrick's injury actually came when he was knocked into the
net, not the boards.  However, it did come as a result of a hit from
behind, and I would not be surprised if at the least, stronger penalties
for such infractions are advocated.

Mike Machnik                   [log in to unmask]            *HMM* 11/13/93