Was this the same Pioneer team that beat the Colorado College Tigers?

In short, Denver played a somewhat misguided, almost confused hockey game
this evening against a very focused, very talented Minnesota squad
determined to capture the WCHA title. Laaksonen and Anderson, who proved
deadly to the Tigers, combined for a 1-1 performance, while the Gophers
benefitted greatly from a Casey Hanksinson hat trick and some "smart"
hockey (and 2 goals) courtesy of Hobey candidate Brian Bonin.

Minnesota, which hasn't lost (10-0-1) since an early November loss against
Denver, played textbook-perfect hockey for most of the evening as tonight's
victory put them ahead of the Pioneers to plant them in second place in the
WCHA. Unless Denver turns it's play up a few more notches, the WCHA may
very well become a two-team race between Minnesota and Colorado College
(which faces DU in a two-game series next weekend).

First Period
============
The Gophers opened up their game with impressive speed and crisp, strong
passing, perhaps in an attempt to foil Denver's "trapping" style that
proved so effective against the CC Tigers. Unsurprisingly, Denver began the
game in much the same way it finished the CC game, combining solid defense
and aggressive forechecking.

The Gophers gained the uppper hand here however, as two Pioneer "mistakes"
gave the visitors a 2-goal lead. The Denver forwards, perhaps eager to open
the scoring, may have been too aggressive in their forechecking as
Minnesota's Zwakman was able to gain the puck back from Anderson and feed
it up to a streaking Hankinson. Wallinheimo had no chance; after all, we're
talking textbook hockey here, 2-on-1.

Not to long after, Hankinson again benefitted, this time as Rasmussen was
able to pick the puck away from a careless T.Smith. Rasmussen gained the
puck at the blue line, sped down the left side, and fed the cutting
Hankinson. Again, no chance for Wallinheimo -- textbook offense.

[I must apologize here, my beeper showed an "emergency" page, and I missed
the 1st Denver goal... I was told it wasn't very pretty, but came as the
result of some excellent forechecking and a whole mess in front of the
net... worst of all, the page was a mistake]

At the 17:20 mark however, Anderson and Laaksonen displayed some of their
phenomenal speed and awareness that has carried the Pioneers so often this
year. Anderson, speeding into a 1-on-2 situation in the Minnesota zone,
drew both Gopher defenders to the far side of the circle to Moen's right.
Anderson then threaded the puck through both defenders to Laasksonen, who
outsprinted his mark to knock in the tying goal past a helpless Moen.

With approximately 1 minute to go, Denver gained the advantage, and nearly
gained the lead as Patterson showed off with some great stickhandling in
the neutral zone and fed T.Smith, who had his man clearly beaten. Smith
however, was barely able to get his shot off. A few seconds later however,
Zwakman was called for tripping, giving the Pioneers nearly 90 seconds of
5-on-3 hockey. They were unable to capitalize in the few remaining seconds
of the first, but looked to be at quite an advantage going into the second.

Except for a few DU mistakes (if you call them that), this was a very solid
period for both teams, as they tested each other's offensive and defensive
strengths. Both goalies, while playing solidly, were not a major factor as
both teams tallied only 7 shots apiece, and all 4 goals virtually
unstopabble.

Period Edges:
Defense: Denver
Backchecking: Minnesota
Forechecking: Denver
Passing: Minnesota
Skating: Minnesota
Chances: Denver
OVERALL: EVEN

Second Period
=============
Denver entered the period with roughly one minute remaining in its 2-man
advantage, and used it well -- sort of -- as both Laaksonen and Anderson
moved effortlessly and effectively towards the net, but couldn't get the
shots off. The collective thumping of the fans' heartbeats rose and fell
with each rush, the biggest letdown coming on a 2-on-1, as Casey fed
Anderson right past Moen, only to see Anderson flub his chance at the open
net.

Denver, now playing on the man advantage, was obviously hungry for the
lead. However, Minnesota's Pratt picked up the loose puck in the neutral
zone, and skating 1-on-1 into the Pioneer zone put on a BEAUTIFUL move past
Kraft, pirouetting away from the defender and in perfect view of the goal.
Pratt placed a shot low against Wallinheimo, who made the good save -- but
gave the rebound up to Bonin, who had walked in unchecked for the
shorthanded score. This tally too was in a sense textbook -- the part where
it tells you to follow up every shot in case of a rebound. I guess the
Denver defensemen missed that page.

Shortly after, Denver drew the penalty, and it took Minnesota less than 20
seconds to capitalize on the opportunity. In another textbook example,
Minnesota moved the puck marvelously: right defense -- left defense -- left
wing -- centering pass -- shoot -- rebound -- score. It looked right out of
a scene from "Hoosiers," where everybody needs to get their hand on the
ball (puck) before taking a shot. Again, Wallinheimo made a solid kick save
with his left pad. Again, the puck redbounded to his left. Again, Bonin was
there to knock the puck in. This goal was so perfect it belonged in my old
history textbooks.

One minute later, Denver drew another penalty. Again, Minnesota moved the
puck well, but Denver was not about to let up another textbook goal.
Instead, a Pioneer forward (sorry) set up Buzan on a gorgeous cross-ice
pass at the Gopher blue line, who then dumped the puck into the zone. Or
did he mean to shoot it? I guess it doesn't matter, as Moen couldn't handle
the blue-line dump-shot, and the Pioneers were back within a goal at 5:34
on a shorthanded tally.

Perhaps the refs thought the game wasn't being called fairly, and suddenly
began to blow the whistle in Denver's favor. Unfortunately, Denver couldn't
take advantage of any these opportunities nearly as well as Minnesota, and
were 0 for 13 on power-play shots. While Moen was rock-steady between the
posts, it was the Gopher defense that frustrated the Pioneer forwards.

It wasn't long however before it was time for Hankinson to turn his trick.
Picking the puck up in his own zone, Hankinson split Krlak and Kidd
(Whooops! More freshmen learning things the hard way) at the blue line, put
a (textbook) deke on Wallinheimo, and traded in the rubber for a few new
hats. Someone in the stands mentioned that this was first natural hat trick
that Minnesota's had in a long time. Whatever. Minnesota was now back up a
pair, 5-3.

Four minutes later, Minnesota was back on the power play (I'm sure
Gwozdecky will write a nice letter to the refs tomorrow) when T.Smith,
diving to stop another Gopher breakway by Bonin, appeared to have made
contact with the puck first, before knocking Bonin over. The ref saw
otherwise. Penalty or not, this kid made a great defensive play and more
than likely prevented another Gopher goal. On the resulting power play,
with T.Smith in the box, Denver was unable to work any defensive wonders
and allowed Treble to take aim from the circle. Again, Wallinheimo made a
solid save, but again, a Gopher was on his doormat to light the lamp
(sounds like a folk song, don't it?). Again, another textbook rebound, this
time giving the Gophers insurance. Don't they teach these kids to block
opponents out of the crease? (I'd love to see Denver play against BU and
Mike Grier)

Never one to give up, Gwozdecky pulled Wallinheimo (he didn't really have a
chance on any of the goals; most of his rebounds would have been impossible
to gather in, given they were mostly pad saves) and sent in Mullin. Perhaps
this injected a little life into the Denver kids, as they suddenly began to
play the way the had in the first -- physical, fast, and dangerous.

Unfortunately for the local fans however, this didn't amount to much as the
Pioneers continued to blow a number of great scoring chances, including
about 3 open-net shots. In particular, L.Smith beat the final Gopher
defender at the blue line, and swpooed in on Moen. Moen came out to
challenge Smith, who deftly avoided the charging goalie -- but miffed the
simple shot, sending the puck wide to the right. Actually, miffed is too
kind of a word. True, he may have been off balance, but you just can't miss
those opportunities. The goal was WIDE OPEN.

With only 2-3 minutes remaining in the period, Bonin stole the puck at the
Pioneer blue line. All alone in the zone, Bonin closed in on Mullin; then
the Denver netminder made the defensive play of the night as he deftly
poke-checked the puck away from Bonin, spoiling his bid for his own
personal hat trick. Now for the question mark: after making such a great
save, Mullin was pulled so that Wallinheimo would re-enter the game and
finish the period. Goofy.

This period looked as if Denver simply forgot what the hell they were
doing; if they didn't then they forgot how to finish it. The Denver
forechecking was a mere shadow of the neutral-zone domination seen against
Colorado College; add to this futility on the power play, and blown
open-net chances... well, you get the picture.

Add to this a Gopher group that headed into this period looking at the
first as only a mere warm-up. Woog and his players knew what they needed to
do, and they did, neatly putting away the #6 ranked Pioneers like a good
boy and his toys. They certainly came to this period, and this game, to
win. I don't know what the hell Denver did.

Period Edges:
Defense: Minnesota
Backchecking: Minnesota
Forechecking: Minnesota
Passing: Minnesota
Skating: Minnesota
Chances: Denver
OVERALL: Minnesota

Third Period
============
In contrast to the 12-plus paragraphs I wrote about the second period,
there's really not much to say about hte third. Much like the second, this
period started out quite well, with exciting end-to-end action, but with
little scoring.

T.Smith continued to impress on both ends of the ice, showing off a range
of skills, as did many of his teamates who stormed out of the lockerroom
with good energy and lots of speed. Unfortunately, this still didn't change
the scoring pattern of this team, as Laaksonen fanned on an open net when
on the power play early in the period.

For Minnesota, the stars of this period were definitely Moen, who had a
good lead to protect (and a number of opportunities to lose it), and
Tremmel, who kept solid pressure up and down the ice on the Denver
forwards. Moen came up with some great sprawling saves in this period, and
did thwart a possible Denver goal or two. Tremmel was all over the sheet,
delivering solid hits, good picks, and nice passes out of the zone.

Gwozdecky, figuring he really had nothing to lose, pulled Wallinheimo at
(roughly) the 10-minue mark. 3:30 later, Woog scored the empty-netter.
Wallinheimo however, remained out for the majority of the remainder of the
period. I guess you could say this about Denver: They kept the Gophers to
only one empty-net goal in almost 8 minutes of play.

Towards the end there was the usual scuffle (2 of em) -- the first one even
brought Wallinheimo off the bench to face Moen at center ice; they didn't
fight (darn). The initial scuffle took nearly 15 minutes -- after
completion -- to be settled by the refs. All this with only 4 minutes
remaining on the clock. The only penalty of mention however, was Denver's
Convery (sp?), who was given a 5-minute major and a 2-minute minor.
Otherwise, the boxes looked just as cozy as always, with all those hunky
players sitting all over each other.

Denver came out trying this period, but just couldn't put a dent in
Minnesota's defense. Actually, they did dent the defense, and quite
effectively. What they really should have done was punched a few holes, and
for that they just missed the mark entirely. Minnesota played much more
cautiously than they did the second period, but by no means did they sit
back and watch the game.

Period Edges:
Defense: Minnesota
Backchecking: Minnesota
Forechecking: Denver
Passing: Denver
Skating: Denver
Chances: Denver
OVERALL: EVEN (well...)

Overall Opinions
================
Briefly:

It'll be interesting to see tomorrow night's rematch. Mostly I'm curious to
see if Denver was just "off" this evening, or if they've just been playing
beyond their ability. Should Minnesota squash the Pioneers again, it might
very well signal the demise of Denver's success for this season, as they
face a very tough series the following weekend against Colorado College.
Did Denver have a bad night? Were they playing "above their ability" in the
Denver Cup? I'm sure we'll have our answers next sunday afternoon, after
the completion of the second game versus the Tigers.

As far as Minnesota goes, I was very impressed. The Gophers showed that
they are a very well-rounded team. As someone else here on Hockey-L alluded
earlier, when your eigth- or tenth- "ranked" player scores a hat trick
against a solid team, you've got depth. I now find myself anxiously
awaiting the Colorado-Minnesota matchups, as I feel those are two of the
top three teams in the country. Comparing how each team played against
Denver, I'd say that Minnesota looked undeniably better than CC -- better
defense, better passing, better team depth. Then again, I didn't see the
Gopher's November loss to Denver.

Early NCAA predictions?
Minnesota vs. Michigan, BU vs. CC in the semis.
Minnesota vs. BU for the championship.

greenie

S P O O N ! !
(go BU)