On Wed, 31 Jan 1996, Robin Lock wrote:

> In any case, I have to put in a vote (admittedly biased) for SLU's own
> Joe Marsh - I wouldn't trade him even up for any other coach in college
> hockey.  He may not always have the most talented players - certainly not
> a roster full of NHL draft choices, but that's proabably more due to
> finacial aid and academic constraints than recruiting talent.  He's got
> a great ability to get the most out of hard-working grinder type players.

        In this thread, I haven't even seen the name of one coach whois
currently heading hockey programs in schools which don't give hockey
scholarships (may be i missed it). It is undeniably true all the top
players go to schools which offer scholarships and the schools that don't
give scholarships should be content with players of second level( not
necessairly true). Also take away the ivy factor, it should be very tough
for coaches like Joe Marsh to establish a very consistent winning program.
slu was predicted to finish 7th by coaches in pre-season but with what
Joe Marsh has done to this program this year..he certainly deserves to be
there...I was totally impressed with slu team after i saw them beat
Clarkson at Appleton last week. Hey..give him some scholarships ..he will
create a superb program at SLU...My vote goes for him....

just my thoughts......

sridhar