At 3:46 PM 1/29/96, Steve Weisfeldt wrote:
>John H wrote:
>> (5) Mike Machnik (whereabouts undisclosed)
>
>Frankly, we're starting to worry about the kid.  He was last seen
>wondering aimlessly around the Merrimack Valley muttering something about
>jumping on the UML wagon......

Well, I should say that John's comment was cute and did get me to smile in
the middle of what has been a very trying season.  Thanks for that...but
let me be the first (or second if you count Steve) to refute John's
suggestion.  Besides the obvious embarrassment I feel at being mentioned in
place of all of the other great coaches, my career coaching record is only
0-1-0...Emerson College in the 1986-87 season (a roommate played for
Emerson).  Although, I considered it the next best thing to a win...despite
having only 8 players, EC lost to Daniel Webster College 5-3 (led 3-0 in
the third before running out of gas) after getting blown out by DWC days
earlier.  However it happened, the guys got motivated and gave a great
effort.

As tough as things have been with Merrimack this year, I'm always happy to
see our cross-Valley rival do well.  It does hurt that Lowell AD Dana
Skinner is a Merrimack grad and former Merrimack hoop star.  But everybody
at Lowell does a great job and it's nice to see them have some success.
They'll probably be my adopted team come playoff time if Merrimack is
eliminated.

BTW, Lowell was 2-34-3 all-time vs BU before sweeping them this past
weekend.  Wow.

In the Stats Don't Lie Department: when allowing the first goal, Merrimack
is 1-9-4 and 0-8-1 in HE.  When scoring the first, they are 6-4-1, 2-4-1 in
HE.  Another telling stat: when tied or trailing after two, Merrimack is
1-13-5, 0-10-2 HE.  When leading after two, they are 6-0-0, 2-0-0 HE.

Even when trailing after only one period, Merrimack is 1-8-4, 0-7-1 HE.
Most of those have been one or two goal games after one period, too.  9 of
the Warriors' 13 losses have been by one or two goals.  And when they allow
3 goals or less, they are 4-0-4, 2-0-2 HE.

Mike Machnik                   [log in to unmask]            *HMM* 11/13/93