Now that Greenie has begun the discussion, I feel I must participate.
Judging a goalie on stats alone is dangerous.

In his example, Greenie is more impressed by the goalie with 49 of 50 saves
than by the goalie with 9 out of 10.

Well, I argue that if those 10 shots were on the breakaway, I'd think that
goalie was pretty hot!

And, if 50 shots were from 60 feet out, unobstructed, and right to the
goalie's gut, I would not be impressed.  (Hey, I can stop anything you shoot
right at me.)

We can't tell what kind of shots they were from the box score.

Stats for goalies can be subjective.  Is the guy counting shots
concentrating on the game?  Can he see?  Is his definition of a shot the
same for all teams?  We all possess some biases.

A good goalie must possess the qualities we all talked about:  physical
prowess, mental toughness, and consistency.

Jill.
Jill Maser                                           [log in to unmask]
Director, Operations Analysis                        phone:  (215) 898-1007
University of Pennsylvania                           fax:    (215) 573-2069