Klein, Steve wrote:

> Should the two Alaska teams have been frozen out?

Interesting choice of words :)  There's way more snow down in Buffalo and the
Soo than up here this year...

> Growth is good for college hockey. I hope we're never provincial (and I'm
> not calling Erick provincial) about the sport.

Right on.  Speaking from the perspective of the major conference newbie, I
sincerely hope all perspective DII step-ups are as thoughtfully considered as
both UAF and UAA were.  (Granted, the leagues took their time about it, IMO.)

As many here have observed, it is highly inlikely that any club teams will be
moving to DI due to Title 9 (Big Ten schools, et al).  The only foreseeable
expansion of the sport will come from the ranks of current DII squads.  I
suspect (hope) we all agree that expansion is better than sitting idly by and
hoping no other Kent States drift away from the fold.

Of course, expansion may result in odd-numbered (gasp!) conferences.  Perhaps
this would finally lead to the demise of ridiculous 3- and 4-game schedules
currently played by the CCHA and WCHA...

As for UAH, both Alaska schools owe the Chargers a debt of gratitude for
playing 6 or 8 games per year up here in the days when few others would.  I
for one hope for their successful entre into the ranks of DI hockey.

Mark

Mark J. Sonnier, C.P.M.                                 Voice (907)786-6505
Purchasing Agent                                          Fax (907)786-6515
University of Alaska Anchorage           e-mail: [log in to unmask]
  UAF Hockey fans say: "With Cody Bowtell on the ice, who needs defense?"