Chuck Wilrycx asked:

>It seems that the Bears tried to recruit bigger and more aggressive players
>this year, as opposed to previous years, where the Bruno team excelled in
>skating speed and passing.  Is the switch to bigger players maybe part of the
>problem Brown is facing this year?

>And in conclusion, any predictions on the Ivy finishes this year?  And whats
>up with Princeton?

Some Ivy League thoughts as break nears ...

I thought that four Ivy teams could finish in the
ECAC's top six; Harvard, Brown, Cornell and Princeton.
I also thought that Harvard, Brown and/or Princeton
could sneak into the top 4 - not that I think that
the Ivy League is unusually strong, but that the ECAC
is parity-ridden and not particularly strong as a whole.

1) Harvard - still a good shot at the top 4, despite the
recent North Country sweep. One great forward line (Nielsen,
Konik, Holmes), a great group of defensemen and very sound
goaltending. If the 'BAM' line (freshman Bent, Adams, MacDonald)
can get it going and the power play starts clicking, Harvard
will definitely be near the top. I expect both those things
to happen.

2) Brown - The Bears have brought in bigger players, but
I think that was Bob Gaudet's plan all along. He only
settled for smaller finesse guys like Ross, Hanley and
Chauvette because that is what he could get at the time.
As between a 6 foot, 185 pound guy who can skate and a
5-9, 165 pound guy who can skate, you take the big one
(all else being equal). Brown, like Harvard, has one great
line (Mulhern, Jardine, Flynn) and a good group of
defensemen (although not up to Harvard's, IMO). None
of the goalies has matched Tracy for consistency this
season, but the coaches are pretty good at picking the
hot hand. If some of the juniors (Clapton, Noble, Bradford,
Merrill) can get going offensively, Brown will get back
into the top 6.

3) Cornell - I knew the Big Red would get a lift from
having a new coach, but not this much of a lift. Injuries
have been a problem (if Drouin's mysterious 'illness'
counts), but Cornell has enough talent to stay in the
top 6. I'm not sure the Big Red will stay in the top
4, though, because I don't think they have an offensive
unit as difficult to stop as those on Brown and Harvard.

4) Princeton - I bet Don Cahoon is asking "What's up
with Princeton?" himself :-). I underestimated the
effect of losing the top three centers (Sharp, Kopeck,
J.P. O'Connor); the Tigers have had serious problems
with defensive zone coverage by their forwards. The
defense, although it has four seniors, has also not
been too consistent -- allowing under 25 shots one
game, over 40 the next on a couple of occasions.
Princeton needs the sophomore and junior forwards
to start scoring. Masters, Brush,
Sinclair and Bois, in particular, should be taking
the pressure off of Jonathan Kelley. I really like
the Princeton freshmen forwards, but you can't count
on rookies to put the puck in the net in the Ivy
League. Like Brown, I think Princeton can get back
into the top 6 -- but not if the Tigers play like
they did against Yale last weekend.

5) Dartmouth - I haven't seen the Big Green yet,
but the general consensus before the season
was that Dartmouth would go as far as the sophomore
forwards and its goaltenders could carry it. Bill
Kelleher is the only proven scorer among the upper-
classmen. It sounds to me like the Big Green are
still allowing too many quality shots and not
finishing their own chances enough to win games.

6) Yale - The Eli were not expected to do much,
so I'm not surprised at their struggles. I did see
them put together a solid 60 minute effort against
Princeton. Tim Taylor is a great coach, and the
players really seem to like learning from him, so
they can give anyone a tough game through preparation.
I liked their chances better last year, when they had
a proven big-time goalie in Todd Sullivan. Yale needs
someone besides John Emmons to start putting the puck
in the net. Matt Cumming, Jeff Sorem and Michael
Yoshino are all good candidates to help out.
BTW, can anyone else think of a team whose captain
(Prescott Logan) didn't earn a varsity letter the
previous year (putting aside people coming back
from the Olympics, like Ted Drury)?

Geoff Howell
Drop the Puck Magazine