Rob Grover asked:

>People always seem to talk about goalies.  I have a question though- what
>makes a goalie a good goalie? ....
>Some goalies challenge the shooter while others sit back and wait for a puck.
>Is there an advantage to either?  Does a particular style make one a bad/good
>goalie?  In SI a few years ago(last year?), there was an article about goalies
>who use the butterfly technique.

One of the great things about hockey is that there is no one
way to stop the puck -- every goalie brings something new to
the table (on and off the ice, in most cases). The bottom
line is whether the goalie can stop the puck.

Consider some of the contrasts you see around the ECAC. Tripp
Tracy (Harvard) is a very aggressive goalie who comes way
out to challenge shooters, prefers to take the initiative in
handling the puck, pokechecks more than most when a shooter
is in close, mixes his choice of style a fair amount (he'll
show butterfly, two-pad slide, stacked pads whatever it takes to get to
the puck). He shared the nets for two years with Aaron
Israel, a totally different player. Israel remained on
his feet whenever possible, played his angles extremely
well and let his defensemen do the puckhandling work. At
the time, I think Israel was more effective -- Tracy didn't
have the experience yet to properly read the shooter all
the time and was burned on occasion because of it. Israel's
patience paid off. But, as Tracy has gained experience, he
makes better decisions and I think has put together a great
season so far.

How about James Konte and Erasmo Saltarelli at Princeton?
Konte is a big, butterfly-style keeper (similar to Greg
Taylor, for you Hockey East folks). He's over 6 feet
tall, so when he goes down in the buttefly he's still
able to cover the top half of the net with his glove and
blocker. Konte doesn't handle the puck particularly well, but
he's very aggressive in protecting his crease so that he
can buy some space and time on rebounds. Saltarelli, on
the other hand, is incredibly aggressive in the manner
of a young Tracy -- he'll fly out at shooters and let
his defense worry about the trailer or any rebounds. No
two saves look alike with Saltarelli.

Different style goalies compliment different types of
teams. Generally, I find that aggressive goalies seem
to do better when they face a lot of shots. Patient
teams, more selective with their shots, seem to have
better luck against guys like Tracy or Neil Little when
he was at RPI. A goalie who makes the first save but
gives up big rebounds will look great in front of a
strong, solid defense that keeps the crease clear.

Size can also be a factor -- generally, stand-up goalies
are bigger guys (like Israel) who don't have to come
out as far to cut down the angle. Smaller guys, like
Tracy or Colgate's Dan Brenzavich, will come out a bit more.

Goaltending is a lot like batting in baseball - whatever
stance or style works for you. Some people are more comfortable
one way, some another. You have to learn from mistakes and
adjust to the shooters because, sooner or later, they'll
find your weak spots. In college, that is less of a problem
because you only see a goalie a few times in your career.

The ECAC has been blessed with a bunch of great goalies
in my time around the league, all of whom were very
different -- John Fletcher at Clarskon, Mike O'Neill
at Yale, Little at RPI, Dave Gagnon at Colgate, Allain
Roy at Harvard (a contrast in styles with his teammate,
Chuckie Hughes), Parris Duffus at Cornell, Christian Soucy
and Tim Thomas at Vermont, Paul Cohen at SLU, etc. They
only had one thing in common -- they could all stop the puck.

Hey, isn't this my second goaltending post in two days?
I confess, I love watching goalies. I've always thought
that quality goaltending is the key to a great game --
when you get two goalies standing on their heads and
keeping everything out, there is nothing better (see
last year's NCAA semifinal between Maine and Michigan
for evidence).

Geoff Howell
Drop the Puck Magazine