On Wed, 6 Dec 1995, John Haeussler wrote:

> Very interesting.  It's often been proposed that Canada resents
> its native sons who dip south of the border to play college hockey
> in the states.

I have *never* heard this proposal and I have lived in Canada for the
past five plus years reading and listening to Canadian media.  (And the
Juniors got extensive coverage when they were in Alberta last year.  A
common belief which *is* here is that the Junior leagues are a higher
level of competition than college hockey because of the longer schedule
(about double the games) as well as the makeup of the leagues.  Please
note I am not endorsing this opinion, just passing it on.  I'd like to
see specific examples of this "resentment" rather than passing on what
seems like rumour and innuendo to me.

>      Detroit Whalers left wing Sean Haggerty, leading the Ontario
> Hockey League with 30 goals and 25 assists through 27 games,
> has been snubbed by the U.S. team for the World Juniors
> tournament.  Haggerty, who made the Memorial Cup all-star
> team last year and also competed in the World Juniors last
> winter, apparently angered U.S. Coach Jack Parker (who coaches
> Boston University) when he opted for junior hockey instead of
> the college route.  Parker recruited not only Sean, but his older
> brother Ryan, who ended up playing for Boston College.
>      "I kind of saw it coming," Haggerty said.  "I read in The Hockey
> News where Jackie Parker said I'm not a team player."
> (end quoted material)

This is the type of explicit example I'm seeking above.  It is
interesting that John makes conjectures about Canadian "resentment" but
the example he cites refers to the US team.  By the way, this is not an
endorsement of the opinion cited above.  I can't read Jack's mind, and
any national team selection involves controversy.  A player not invited
is not the best unbiased source.

As Mike knows from private e-mail, I'm not a big Parker fan, but this
accusation seems out of left field as well.  John, if *you* have an
opinion on this, post it, but if you are talking generally please quote
with names as you did with Haggerty.

Arthur Berman [log in to unmask]
GO BU!!! NATIONAL CHAMPIONS!!!
NAYIM FROM THE HALFWAY LINE!!!