At 07:56 PM 12/6/95 -0600, Eeyore wrote:
>them use their arena).  Is it fair to punish CC for playing these games, or
>any other team in a similar situation?  They're in a no win situation; win
>or lose, these games hurt their tournament chances.

Let's look at it another way, is it fair to "reward" CC for having the 38th
rated schedule of 44 Division I teams and posting a 10-0-3 record?  If that
was the case, what would be the incentive to schedule top teams?

If CC was untied, perhaps this would be an issue, but those three ties are
hurting them.  Those three ties in 13 games means, that Colorado College
ties almost one game in 4, roughly 23%, while playing this easier schedule.

Ratings are only as good as the schedule played thus far.  You have to take
lots of things into consideration, like the WCHA unbalanced schedule for
instance.  That has the potiental to help or hurt any given team in the
league.  For instance, any team that plays CC four times will benifit
because of their win percentage.  But any team with a good winning
percentage that CC only plays twice will hurt their ability to increase
their OppWin%.  With limited non-conference action, it will hurt them as well.

I'm not familar with CC, but I'm sure they won't end up with the 38th ranked
schedule when it's all said and done, but it might not rival Minnesota's or
BU's either.
---
Deron [log in to unmask]

--> University of Maine Hockey (12-3-2)
--> http://maine.maine.edu/~dtread41/mehockey.html
--> Owner/GM:  Maine Mariners (EHH Fantasy League)